Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I have a sharp stabbing pain in my right hip when walking that

I have a sharp stabbing pain in my right hip when walking that is debilitating when it happens to the point of either having to stop walking, continue with a severe limp or fall.

I am a 59 year old male and have had hip pain since my early 20's. In the last two years this pain has affected my walking.

Also, I can feel fine with no pain and suddenly with my next step I can get the sharp stabbing pain.

This pain is not constant and may not occur for months at a time. But when it does, walking is difficult and there is a residual dull aching that is constant without relief. Stretching will give at most a couple of minutes of relief when walking but does not stop the dull aching part.

What is your height and weight?

Any history of joint pain in any other part of the body?

Any blood work or X-Rays done recently?

Does the pain radiate to the leg?

Do you smoke?

Any history of diabetes?

Are you taking any medications?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

73 inches

230 lbs

No other joint pain.

No blood work or xrays.

Pain does NOT radiate to the legs.

Do not smoke.

No diabetes.

No medications except Advil.

Arthritic conditions such as osteoarthritis are among the most common causes of hip pain.

However based upon your symptoms it is essential to undergo routine investigations like R.A factor,Uric Acid to rule out autoimmune or metabolic causes of this symptom.

In some cases X-Ray/MRI of lumbo-sacral joint may be advised to rule out compression of the sciatic nerve causing reffered pain to the hip.

Also a X-Ray of pelvis with both hip joint is also advised for further diagnosis and management.

If there is associated numbness and tingling chances are that these symptoms are related to nerve compression.

Another possible differential diagnosis may be Piriformis syndrome.

Piriformis syndrome results when the piriformis muscle deep in the hip irritates the sciatic nerve.

The consevative line of treatment may include

Physical therapy