Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I just woke up after a short nap on my back with swelling above

Customer Question

I just woke up after a short nap on my back with swelling above my jawline next to lips on left side. No pain before or now. Looks as if I go an injection on that side.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details.

Is that swelling tender to touch?

Any toothache?

Any redness, fever, shortness of breath etc?

Any diagnosed medical problem or any medication you are on?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No to all of above
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

Katherine thanks a lot for your input. As per description there can be few causes for your swelling. This can be an infection of skin called cellulitis, can be allergic reaction, can be mucous retention cyst, can be salivary gland duct obstruction, can be hair follicle infection, can be an insect bite etc. You are not having typical symptoms of allergic reaction so that is not likely, similarly cellulitis is less likely because of no redness. Same goes with the hair follicle infection. Other cases are more likely but any one of them. As per symptoms nothing sounds serious so you can keep yourself under observation. Take OTC advil and apply ice packs on the area. Moreover take some anti allergic tablet like OTC tab claritin ad hopefully you will feel better soon. If you develop racing heart, fever, increase in swelling size, respiratory distress etc then visit your doctor but hopefully will not be required. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. I have already applied ice.
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 3 years ago.

You are most welcome. Take advil and claritin also. Don't worry nothing sounds serious. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.