Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have had severe heartburn for several years and have been

I have had severe heartburn for several years and have been taking Prilosec on a daily basis, which results in low iron and anemia. I'm a 51 year old female. My PCP is aware of this and doesn't seem concern, but I'm wondering if it's time for me to visit a gastroenterologist and have my esophagus scoped. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hi--are you saying that so far you haven't ever been scoped? And what testing have you had to show that the anemia is from the Prilosec?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I've never been scoped. The anemia clears itself when I stop taking the prilosec.

OK. Yes, if you've required Prilosec for that long (and I'm assuming than when you do stop it the indigestion/reflux symptoms return) you definitely need scoping to look at both your esophagus and stomach. I would also screen you for H pylori--the so-called ulcer bug which can cause reflux symptoms even without ulcers. If there is esophagitis then a switch to carafate may be in order to treat your anemia. If you are H pylori positive, antibiotic treatment may be all that's needed and you might not require any acid-lowering medication after that
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I'll make an appt.

My pleasure--let me know how it goes