Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I have noticed slight blurred vision recently. I dont know

I have noticed slight blurred vision recently. I don't know when it started exactly as I did not really notice it until the last week or two when it became more pronounced.

The closer things are the more clear they appear but at any distance I still see a slight loss of sharpness compared to before, especially with text and fine details. The problem is in both eyes, but more pronounced in my left eye, my dominant eye.

The blur is most obvious with digital displays or computer text. With smaller text it is a very slight blur but I can still read standard text sizes well. With a digital clock however I see almost as if there is a second digit very slightly off center, and this second digit disappears when I gently touch the top of my eyeballs through the eyelids.

Also when I touch my eyeballs through my eyelid I can see 20/20 on an eye chart, but when I remove my fingers I can barely read the 20/30 line.

I have also noticed a similar but weaker improvement in sharpness when I tilt my head down and look up, tilt my head up and look down, point my head to left and look right, or point my head to the right and look left. When looking straight ahead I have the least sharpness.

I have noticed lately that I have been waking up with my face pressed into the pillow with pressure on either eye depending on which side I am laying on. Whenever I wake up whichever eye I was sleeping on will be bloodshot and blurry. It improves somewhat the longer I am awake but never becomes completely clear. I don't know if this can be related or is just making an unrelated problem worse.

What do you think is going on with my vision?

Does this sound like a temporary issue, such as an eye injury that might heal, or does this sound like permanent vision loss that might need corrective lenses?
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, it is always important to consult a doctor immediately if you notice you are not seeing properly or your vision is not the same as it was before .

At your age , most cases in which the patient presents vision loss or blurred vision are associated to treatable conditions like myopia in which the light focus in front of the retina, hypermetropia ( in which the light focus behind the retina) or refractive cornea disorders like astigmatism that can be corrected with corrective lenses or glasses.In your case , those three conditions would be the first to investigate .

If these three conditions are ruled out ,other conditions will need to be investigated like :

1- Glaucoma ( in this condition , the eye internal fluid pressure increases by increased production or decreased outflow )
2-Optic nerve Inflammation
3-Macular degeneration
4- Eye vascular changes ( in this case , your eye blood vessels become brittle and fragile and leak out blood or fluid )
5- Floaters or retinal detachment ( in this condition , the back part of retina detaches and separates )
6- Diabetes
7- Eye Infections or inflammation
8-Medication side effects
9- Cataracts ( cloudy eye lens , this condition is more common in older people )

You should consult an Ophthamologist to evaluate you . He/she will need to perform an eye exam , a visual field test and an electroretinogram to determine what specific condition is producing these problems so you can be treated properly .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am aware of the conditions you mentioned and can easily look them up online. I am asking for your opinion (a medical doctor) of what you think is going on based on the description and clues I provided. If you cannot do so then please have someone else answer my questions.

I don't have a lot of money so I am asking here so I can become better informed and ask better informed questions when I can afford to see an eye doctor.

Please re-read my original post before responding.

According to what you described ,what you probably have is a refractive disorder ,specifically myopia or astigmatism .

The other possibility specially for the redness ,is eye dryness ,some people's eyelids do not close completely making their eyes really dry and red specially when you get up in the morning . If there is itchiness or burning sensation , allergies and conjuctivitis should also be investigated .

The eye doctor needs to perform an eye exam to determine what specific type of lenses you need and the correct graduation . But this is not dangerous at all ,is pretty common condition and can be corrected with regular lenses or contact lenses if you prefer.

In the meantime, You could get over the counter eye drops like Clear Eyes ,avoid alcohol and cigarette which make your eyes even more dryer and apply a wet towel over your eyes for 20 -30 minutes .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day ! Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.