Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

My doctor gave me a script for Endep 10 tablet 10 mg Im too

My doctor gave me a script for Endep 10 tablet 10 mg I'm too scare to take this medication. I'm suffering from depression. My husband for 43 years died not long ago for prostate cancer. Seeing all the suffering with radiation, chemo and numeurous cancer treatment druggs, all trials with Redcliffe cancer reseach hub. Dr Boris Chern was great but my husband died. Is there anything else that I can do to get myself better without druggs?
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, I am really sorry to hear what you have being going through , depression can be treated the natural way . However , every patient is different . Some people deal with this grief and sadness without medication , but for others medications could be necessary. At least , for a short period of time.

To begin with , one of the most effective treatments would be what doctors call Cognitive Behavioral Therapy ,You will learn to deal with your emotions even with the sadness in an adequate way ,you will learn to monitor your environment avoiding any events or circumstances that could make you feel worse and find the ones that make you feel better. This type of therapy lasts 3 -3 1/2 months and does not involve using any medication . Both psychologists and psychiatrist could give you this type of therapy.

Exercise has shown to modulate the production of certain hormones and chemicals that trigger depression . I know for you is gonna be difficult at the beginning , but try to do simple things like walking for 25-30 minutes in the park 2-3 times per week .

You need to understand is gonna take time for you to feel better, it is ok to feel angry or sad and to let yourself feel that way , that is part of the healing process of losing a loved one. What it is important is to surround yourself with family during this time , try to interact with others and construct new relationships in a meaningful way , that is the best way to remember your husband .

Spiritual counseling is vital ,it does not matter what religion you have , it helps you to find the whole purpose of life itself and the sense of continuity and permanence of those ones we lose physically but not spiritually and who will always be with us .

There are also natural remedies you could try to treat your depression with less potential side effects than the common antidepressants used in the market ,it is always recommended talking with your doctor before you take any of these products specially when you are taking other medications or have a specific medical condition . Among the natural products you could take are St. John's wort ,Omega-3 fatty acids , S-Adenosyl Methionine or Saffron extract .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.