Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I have a sharp burning pain around the outside of my ear and

I have a sharp burning pain around the outside of my ear and above the ear, it can last for minutes or hours, the only type of relief I get is when I place head between my knees, but as soon as I raise my head the pain is back full force, the pain appears on the left and right side but never at the same time and there is no pain inside of my ear
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

This sounds like a couple of things actually....trigeminal neuralgia is one thought. Also, nerve inflammation or a 'trapped nerve' could also cause burning pain. Even some types of migraines can cause a burning pain around the temples and neck/ear region.

Try a cold compress on the area and take an anti-inflammatory type drug like Advil or Aleve.

If you don't get any relief within a few hours or if this worsens, I would offer you to be examined in the ER to rule out something more serious.