Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

We asked about giving a 3 year old Benedryl for an 11 hour

We asked about giving a 3 year old Benedryl for an 11 hour flight. We gave her 5ml one year ago for the same flight and she screamed and cried 10 of the 11 hours! She does not travel well. We were prescribed a 5ml dose since she was 14 months old- for Eczema. It did help her sleep a little better at night as she was less itchy. I rarely give her Benedryl any more, unless she has a bad outbreak of Eczema-, I feel sure this same dose will no longer be effective-please advise
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, although I do not personally recommend giving a child Benadryl , I understand it could be really difficult to travel with small kids specially if they become irritable , the proper dose for a child her age is 3/4 teaspoonful every 6 hours , in which one teaspoon has 12.5mg /5ml ( Benadryl for children ) , you could give her the first dose before your trip begins and the second dose after 6 hours . Do not give her more than than 2 doses in total. Other important recommendation use a measuring spoon ,not a regular kitchen spoon.

It is always appropriate to consult her Pediatrician before you take this decision , if he/she approves, you can give her the medication . The main reasons I tell you this is because , first, every kid has a different reaction to Benadryl some of them even become irritable and second ,there are occasions in which the kid does not become irritable and with simple things like giving them a snack , taking some toys or electronic devices they can play with will maintain them entertained during the whole flight .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not sure if you read the background. She has been prescribed 5ml, 1 teaspoon since she was 14 months old. She is now 3. If 5ml did not help her a year ago and approximately 12-14 pounds ago, I seriously doubt that 3/4 of a teaspoon will do her any good at all.

It would be 2 teaspoonfuls (7.5 ml-10 ml in total ) not only one in two divided doses , but you need to wait 6 hours before you give her the second dose .