Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have been off of Flonase (sinusitis) since 5/22 due to severe

Customer Question

I have been off of Flonase (sinusitis) since 5/22 due to severe anxiety/panic. I was using one spray up each nostril in the a.m and one spray up each nostril in the evening which I changed to two sprays each nostril in the evening because not working. This was was approved by previous doctor on Just Answer) I did this for one week. Doctor also stated no fear of overdose and that Flonase DOES NOT cause anxiety. When I went back for a follow-up visit with nurse practitioner, I told her that I stopped the Flonase and explained my feelings like I was going to lose control, the overwhelming anxiousness, the troubled sleep, lose of appetite and irritability. She stated that these sensations were caused by the over usage of Flonase. She stated that Flonase can and DOES cause anxiety if not taken properly. I have also read this on several Health Forums as well as the MAYO Clinic. I still have these sensations and want to know how long it will take for these feelings to end. It feels like I'm going through withdrawal like when I was on Ativan several years ago for a month, but not as bad.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about the anxiety problems you're having now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It comes and goes. It was worse when I first stopped the Flonase. Like I mentioned, the restlessness, lack of appetite (which is finally getting back to normal), still unable to get a good nights sleep ( maybe four hours, five tops.) I still feel like I'm going to lose control at times (the worst of my feelings). I've never experienced this prior to the use of Flonase and its freaking me out and driving my husband nuts. I just want it to stop and get my life back to normal . How long will it take?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
One more question--does it all seem to be getting any better by now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, as mentioned, getting appetite back, not as restless as I use to be. Not as jumpy (which I never was before). Sleep pattern still hasn't improved. The fear of losing control is not as strong but the feeling is still there. The irritability feelings are also subsiding.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. While this is not the usual adverse reaction to Flonase, any corticosteroid has the potential to do this to a patient. The good news is it's never a permanent or long-term problem. In your case, I would say that it may take another two to four weeks for this to totally resolve and the other good news is that it seems to be slowly resolving even now. It might help to use something like Valerian or melatonin for your sleep problem since a good night's sleep can often work on easing the anxiety problems you're having during the day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I sort of figured that. I'll just have to ride it out. Am I able to take melatonin when I'm on blood pressure medication (verapamil). Also take calcium with vitamin D and fish oil capsules along with a regular multi-vitamin and B12 . My doctor said I really don't need the B12 but I brought the bottle and want to finish it off.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you can take the melatonin with your verapamil and with the other supplements--no problem there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you! I'm just curious as to why the previous expert I was dealing with didn't tell me of these reactions. I could've avoided all these horrible feelings and to think that I've thanked him for his honesty when I questioned about Flonase causing anxiety and rated him excellent.

One more question involving a totally different subject, since I'm on BP medication, can I take the Green Coffee Bean Extract capsule (as advertised by Dr. Oz, they are harmless). I was wondering the caffiene content since I drink decaf coffee.(one cup with lots of milk) I do walk 30 minutes three days a week. I just want a little more help. Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but I can't speak to what the other expert told you. No problem with the green coffee bean extract and hypertension, but I have to tell every customer to discuss any supplement with their doctor before they take it
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Dr. Chip...I will keep you in mind next time I have a question. You've been great...would I be able to ask for you?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure entirely and for another question either post it using the link below or just start the question with "For Dr. Chip only."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Chip...we spoke last week and during our chat I forgot to ask if there are any OTC aides to relieve the on and off anxiety/panicky feeling that I have from the dumb Flonase..(I also used Claritin). I heard of homepathic stuff especially Anxietin. I just want this feeling to GO AWAY...Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--sorry for the delay. First tell me all the medications your take
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not taking any medications anymore. Stopped flonase three weeks ago because of the anxiety effects and stopped claritin a week ago. Only on bp med which I have been taking for approx three years. You stated that it would take about two to four more weeks on top of the two weeks that I;ve been going through this for feelings to end. I just would like to know your opinion if I could take the homeopathic root and if it works. :)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--just wanted to check for any contraindications if you were taking any other meds. Anxietin is worth a try--it is effective for anxiety conditions in many patients, but as with any supplement, check with your doctor before you start using it. Another option would be St John's wort
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Dr. Chip: I have also heard benadryl may be used.... It should help with my rhinitis also since I stopped the Claritin... would you consider this an option or go with the supplements?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Benadryl would be fine for the nose problem and it also could help with the anxiety. No contraindications between benadryl and either Anxietin or St. John's wort.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what about the verapamil...I've taken benadryl before without any problems..just curious about St. John's Wort .

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--verapamil? I thought you said your we're taking any other medications?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did tell you that I'm taking BP medication and that I have been taking it for three years when you asked me what medications I was taking.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--I misunderstood because just above you said you weren't taking any medications any more. No problem with continuing the verapamil and taking benadryl and either Anxietin or St. John's wort. St John's wort is a natural serotonin reuptake inhibitor and that could help with anxiety
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you...I get better responses from you than my own provider. I also remember that I've spoken to you several years ago. You helped me through my withdrawal from Ativan. Is that your actual picture online? I'll check out the St. John's Wort (the name creeps me out...lol)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes--that's me and call on me anytime you need. And it's not a religious plant and wort is a plant word and not related to warts. (Don't know if St John suffered from warts).
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So professional looking with the stethoscope! Anyway...can St.John's be taken on an as needed basis (like when I start to feel weird which I must say is diminishing slowly with each passing day, thank God) or must it be taken everyday to get results. If that's the case, I'll just take the Benadryl and save a few bucks (even though I do like the write-ups about the Anxietin).

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
St. John's isn't likely to be effective if used only on an as needed basis, but benadryl certainly can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll stick with the benadryl...besides it'll make me sleep at night which I haven't been doing too much of (usually 4-5 hours) as I mentioned previously...I know you recommended the melatonin but I'm a little nervous about taking it.....sorry...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's OK--benadryl's perfectly safe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Any time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Chip: I received a few emails from just answer apparently to see how I'm doing. Well, it's been almost two months since I stopped the Flonase and I still have the weird anxious/panicky feelings but they are going away SLOWLY. On occasion, I feel like I'm going to go off the deep end and scream at my husband for no reason at all. I think that it may take longer than the 2-4 weeks you stated in your one reply. The fourth week is over next week... I am sleeping a bit better even though I still get up 2-3 times to go to the bathroom, but that's my fault for drinking water so late in the evening (around 7:30). I really hope these horrible feelings totally clear up within the next month. Happy Fourth!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Happy fourth to you but one question--how old are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Why...was it because of the bathroom bit. I don't always get up like that. Only when I drink too late.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--just wondering if we might be dealing with premenopause here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No...I'm postmenopause.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--just checking
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

May I ask why or does this count as a medical question.. :)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to rate my answers again--just needed to post it as an answer to close the page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You didn't answer as to why the premenopause question.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Oh--just from what you said about screaming at you husband for no apparent reason. Menopause can do that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I said that "on occasion I feel like I'm going to go off the deep end and scream at my husband, don't actually do it. It's like I'm going to lose control. I just take deep breaths until the feeling passes. I truly hate these weird sensations.... didn't think Flonase could do that. I've read on several forums how people are going through the same thing and they ask how long will it take for them to feel themselves again. It sucks! At least I know that it'll definitely will pass hopefully sooner than later.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It will pass, and I admire your putting up the good fight against it