Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I have an itchy sore on my leg which does not appear to be

I have an itchy sore on my leg which does not appear to be ringworm. It started very small like a small abrasion or burn & is getting larger in diameter very quickly. It's almost like it's eating away at the skin as I can see a dead layer of pealing skin around it. I used antibacterial and i swear it made it worse. It is pink all the way through the center & looks like a burn when it is healing over with a dryer layer of skin. It is not darker around the edges & it is not raised at all. Right now it's the size of a cranberry.

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Does the wound ooze pus?

Any associated pain?

How long has it been there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nope, it's not oozing.

It isn't painful, just extremely itchy.

I noticed it about 4 days ago.

Now a lesion which is extremely itchy which is showing dead skin as well as pink skin indicates a lesion which is rapidly growing and is likely to turn out into a chronic lesion (it should have shown some recovery with anti bacterials). Based on your clinical symptoms, it can be eczema, psoriasis or lichen simplex chronicus.

You should see a dermatologist asap for prescription medicines as the lesion is likely to grow if not treated at the earliest. A biopsy of the lesion is also advisable to get the exact diagnosis and if there is any bacterial or granulomatous infection.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is lichen simplex chronicus and a granulomatous infection?

Aren't there some specific things that are known to get worse from anti-bacterial creams?

The lesion has not worsened from the anti bacterial cream but is more likely to be growing fast and is not responding to the medicine.

Lichen simplex chronicus is a skin lesion charcterized by extreme itching with lesions that do not respond to usual medicines. You may well respond to steroids.

Granulomatous infections is due to tuberculosis or fungal infections which again requires specific medicines for treating it.

You should get a complete blood lab work done to exclude any internal infection.
Thanks.

If you have any follow up or new questions for me, please request me as DR. BORA in the opening statement of the question.

Have a good day!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

You are welcome