Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

have back pain that seems to be in the middle of the right

have back pain that seems to be in the middle of the right side of the back. i think that when i move arm it feels something. uncomfortable to sit and lie down. when i take advil it seems to subside.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

How long has this been going on for?
On a grade of 1 to 10 how would you rate the pain?
Do you have pain in abdomen which radiates towards back?
Is pain continuous or it comes only when you move arm?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for about a week

5

no

continuous and dull

no

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing quick additional information.

It sounds to be nerve root compression, The compression of lumbar nerves will cause such symptoms.
It can occur with Lumbar radiculopathy, Spinal disc herniation or due to wear and tear or degeneration of the discs.
This condition is diagnosed with help of MRI of spine.

The line of treatment is- physical therapy and oral medications.
Physical therapy includes various modalities like Short wave diathermy, Infra red ,Wax therapy ,these will help you a lot.
Also Stretching exercises for your back can help you feel better and may help relieve nerve root compression.
You may be prescribed with may be prescribed with Vicodin, It contains acetaminophen and hydrocodone and would help to resolve symptoms.

I suggest that you should consult your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think i had pain there some time back and then it goes away. and then it comes back.

so, with what you said, is that possible/normal?

Dear Customer, I can understand your concern.

Yes, most likely it is related with nerve issue. Yes, nerve compression may come and then go away for few days. Again it may get aggravate and cause such symptoms.
This condition is quite common and most likely not indicative of any serious issue.
MRI would be diagnostic for this condition.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could it also go up and down the side?

Dear Customer, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Yes, it is true that nerve related pain may radiate up and down sides on back. This can get aggravated when you moves you arm and may become severe during certain positions like- lying down or sitting.
These all symptoms are clear indicative of nerve issue.
Please get MRI done.
I would suggest that you should consult your primary doctor for evaluation and get it managed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if it is a nerve, how long would it take to heal? what would mri show?

Well, it may take up to 2-3 weeks for symptoms to get resolve completely.
The MRI scan is an imaging test that allows physician to assess a patient's spinal anatomy and investigate the cause,
It would show from where nerve has been compressed, and accordingly line of treatment can be advised.
The physician will correlate the findings on the MRI scan with your symptoms in order to arrive at a clinical diagnosis.
Good luck and take care.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should i worry or not?

Dear Customer,

Nerve compression in back is not a serious issue, and usually with rest and physical therapy such symptoms get improve quickly.
This is not a serious issue and has a good prognosis. Don't get panic.

However, i suggest you to get it clinically examined from your doctor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

could there be a more serious issue with lungs, kidneys or liver or something else?

Dear Customer,

As such your symptoms are not indicative of any serious issue related with lungs, kidneys or liver.
Please don't get panic.
Such nerve compression are quite common and usually have a good prognosis.