Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

What is Euthyroid Sick Syndrome or T3 conversion disorder?

What is Euthyroid Sick Syndrome or T3 conversion disorder? Will supplementation with T4 and T3 in Armour Thyroid correct the total low T#? Mine is extremely low.
Hi--tell me about your TSH values and do you still have any symptoms of low thyroid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I still have symptoms of low thyroid. I have gained a lot of weight when I resumed eating carbohydrates in the form of fruit or bread. This happened when I was first diagnosed, and a doctor took away the carbohydrates, and I was really skinny-ate protein and vegetables. But the endocrinolist then put me on T4 and I could eat the carbs again. I have gained 76 pounds, and I am tired. Unfortunately I am in a wheel chair, and that doesn't help with the weight.

But, generally, the same symptoms before except it was so bad in 1996 that my heart beat so slowly that I could not get out of bed and was on heart medicine until of course the endocrinologist put me on a high dose of T4.

Thinning hair, also. My TSH was .92. Cholesterol was high at 250 but shot up to 367 and now 330 without the Synthroid.

My Thyrotropin or TSH is 0.47. My Thyroxine Free or Free T4 is 0.92. My triiodothyronine or T3 is 0.85 with a low beside it and a reference range of 58-159 for normal.

Sorry, in my first question I wrote that I was taken off Synthroid when the T3 was low. I meant I was taken off when the TSH was low or 0.35.

OK--just one more question--are you seeing an endocrinologist?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am seeing a primary care doctor who told me to continue to take the Armour Thyroid as the M.D. primary care told me to do when he reviewed prior blood tests. I plan to go to an endocrinologist I saw in 2006 before I retired from the Army; but I have to wait until I can get a ride to the primary care at the Army base to refer me. Should be able to do it this week.

OK--you need an endocrinologist on the case because it looks like you have T3 conversion syndrome and the Armour isn't treating that well. You need cytomel or a combination of cytomel and the Armour to bring your T3 levels up to normal range