Dr. D.J.
Dr. D.J., Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

Hi this is embarrassing but oh well. My butthole is red and

Hi this is embarrassing but oh well. My butthole is red and has been raw for a few months now, i thought it was because i played basketball a lot in compression shorts but it has continued even after the season stopped. It is just red in the very inner ring and every time i clean it it stings a little bit and when i exercise and go outside where its real hot it will just rub and smell really bad--disgusting. I have put Vaseline on it and that temporarily fixes the problem but i have been looking for a permanent fix. I've also tried baby powder and baby wipes but those don't seem to work either. I'm starting to think i might have an infection. Is there anything i can buy over the counter or do to fix this problem before i have to go to the doctor, because that will be very embarrassing and uncomfortable? And no I have not been involved in any type of sexual activity that would have caused this, i am not a homosexual.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. D.J. replied 10 months ago.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Persistent redness is commonly caused by the fungal infection.

mysticdoc :

Although you stopped playing sports, the dampness, sweat and heat during summer time can foster fungal growth.

Customer:

Is there any medicine that will take care of this problem over the counter? Is this a common problem?

mysticdoc :

Bacterial infection is another possibility but fungal infection is more likely.

mysticdoc :

Yes, you can try clotrimazole ointment twice daily.

mysticdoc :

You can combine with hydrocortisone ointment twice daily.

mysticdoc :

continue for 5 to 7 days.

mysticdoc :

There should be improvement.

Customer:

so put both of them on twice a day?

mysticdoc :

If not, then you need to see your doctor for stronger prescription medication.

mysticdoc :

yes correct.

Customer:

So put them on at the same time?

mysticdoc :

yes correct

mysticdoc :

and keep the area dry.

mysticdoc :

change your undergarments daily.

Customer:

Okay and should i be washing with soap in the shower or just water?

mysticdoc :

Avoid soap for now as it can worsen.

mysticdoc :

warm water should be fine.

Customer:

Okay so after applying both of those creams for a week i should see my doctor?

mysticdoc :

yes correct

Customer:

And also- is there a specific brand of those that i should by? Is that what they are called on the shelf?

mysticdoc :

they are called as themselves.

mysticdoc :

Brand names can be lotrimin and cortizone

Customer:

Okay thank you so much!

mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Dr. D.J., Board Certified MD
Experience: MD