Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My rdw is slightly elevated (15.6) with my basophils high (10),

My rdw is slightly elevated (15.6) with my basophils high (10), with a crp of 8.5 (usually is between 14-18). My bilirubin, ast, LD, are all low. Along with my t3 uptake and tsh is low, but my ft4 & ft3 is normal. I am on armour for hashimotos. I also have dysautonomia/pots. I have been having difficulty breathing regularly since november 2012, but now the labored breathing is more frequent (daily that last 20-30 min) and I feel faint/weak/tingly more often throughout the day, however, I haven't actually passed out since last year. However, with the labored breathing the lower part of my lungs in my back hurt burn/ache.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--can you tell me more about the breathing problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically, it comes on suddenly, along with feeling faint and weak/ill. The breathing is shallow breaths and then becomes labored. After I lie down for 20-30 minutes it will subside temporarily, but becomes fast and heavy labored. No real pattern, just daily now. When in the past was monthly. However, the ache across my middle back (lower lung area) is sore and hurts continually.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And you haven't had this evaluated by a doctor as yet--no testing of any kind?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - not necessarily. I have just had labs - CBC, CMP, LD, TSH, ft3, ft4, t3 uptake, complement 3 & 4. The doctor doesn't say much about the lungs. I have had a chest ct in the past (2009) due to aspiration pneumonia due to fainting/vomiting, which is what happens when I faint. But it has been cleared up.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--any wheezing or coughing with this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a little - nothing chronic.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--sorry for all the questions. Any history or sinus problems or allergies in the past?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--here are my thoughts and we can continue after this if you need to. The basophil elevation is seen with allergies and with sinus problems. You need to have a ct scan of the sinuses and an allergy panel done, and for now I'd suggest you try an antihistamine like benadryl, Claritin, or Zyrtec. I think that you need to discuss with your doctor the possibility of this being an allergy or sinus problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what is the answer to the low bilirubin, low ast, low LD, high RDW, low tsh, low t3 uptake with normal ft3 & ft4?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Nothing significant about the low liver function results--that doesn't indicate any disease process. The slightly elevated RDW again doesn't mean anything clinically. The low TSH and T3 uptake are also nothing I would be concerned with unless the TSH were, say, below 1.0 in which case I would consider that you might be on a bit too much of the Armour thyroid. Basically, your symptoms above would not be caused by any of that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well my tsh is below .1. It is .05. However, the ft3 is normal and the ft4 is in the low normal range. Because I have hashimotos, which destroyed my thyroid (no-little thyroid function without medicine), I can't go by the tsh to determine medicine values or I will be without adequate hormone. As for the t3 uptake, ast, bilirubin, & LD it seems to point to a blood transport issue? I realize low liver function is not serious, but considering all these things have in common the rbc it seems odd that the rdw is high.? Dysautonomia affects my heart rate, breathing & blood pressure. I just don't know yet which kind I have to know the severity of it.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
How is it you know about dysautomia? And I'm not sure what you mean by a blood transport problem? I'm well acquainted with Hasimoto's but this doesn't sound thyroid at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As for the dysautonomia I have been to the mayo clinic and was diagnosed there, but where we live no one knows anything about it, so I am trying to find someone who does. I have had to do considerable research. Thank u for confirming that it is likely not a thyroid issue causing this. I just wanted to make sure the thyroid medication wasn't causing my other levels to be effected (low bilirubin, ast, etc.). I guess I was wondering if the high rdw could mean some of the rbc's were unhealthy and if they were unhealthy they may not be containing/carrying/releasing the enzymes or bilirubin, ast, etc. in the normal way - causing those levels to be low?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. Again, your RDW level isn't clinically significant and except for bilirubin from the hemoglobin the red cells have nothing to do with the levels of the other liver enzymes. So long as your red cell count and hemoglobin levels are normal, this alone is nothing to be concerned about as indicating, maybe, a vitamin B12 deficiency. The fatigue and passing out part of your symptomatology might go along with dysautonomia, but not the breathing part. I still think you need the allergy and sinus check.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice