Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have been experiencing a dull pressure on the lower left

I have been experiencing a dull pressure on the lower left side of my back. It feels like it is under under the last two ribs ( I am a male, age 45). I thought it might be kidney stones, but x-rays do not show any stones. I am also regular with my bowels. What could the problem be?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

I am Dr. Phophalia and will assist you today.

Do you have pain when you move or bent your back?
Do you have heartburn, gas, bloating?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for taking my question.

discomfort is a better description if I stretch to the right side, which causes my left side to stretch more.

Occasional heartburn.

I have always been real healthy. No meds.

Hello Shawn,

This can be myofascial pain syndromes. Muscles of the back can develop myofascial trigger points. These are hyperirritable tender spots in palpable tense bands of skeletal muscle that refer pain. This can be associated with degenerative disc disease causing pinched nerves. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant.

2) physical therapy; simple muscle stretch, augmented muscle stretch, post-isometric relaxation.

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation, high voltage galvanic stimulation, biofeedback.

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer Dr. Phophalia. I will have to read up on your response.

The fear of the unknown has caused me to think about it being something more serious? Liver? Kidney? Spleen? Whatever is under my ribcage on my left side back there?

Aside from the X-rays already done, are there any blood tests or CAT scans that can be done to alleviate my fears that this is something more serious?

Hello Shawn,

A visceral pain (liver related pain are unlikely to cause left sided pain, chronic splenic diseases are rare to cause pain and kidney stone which is the commonest ailment of the kidney to cause pain has been ruled out by the x-ray) may not be responsible for this pain. Still just for the cautionary reason and to relieve your anxiety; you may get an ultrasound and a CT scan.

It is privilege assisting you.