Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I was diagnosed with Lupus just last week so I have been sick

I was diagnosed with Lupus just last week so I have been sick for a while. I have one symptom that is concerning me that I forgot to ask my doctor about. Every evening for about 2 weeks now I have coughed up a glob of green phlegm. I don't "have a cough" or any other symptoms of a cold.
Should I be concened enough to call my doctor tomorrow?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

I am Dr. Phophalia and would assist you today.

Do you have sore throat, cough, blocked / running nose, fever, shortness of breath, chest pain, headache, acid reflux?
Does the green phlegm occur only in evening?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Bad headache, some chest pain but not much, nausea. (Lupus symptoms?)
Only in the evening until today. It happened twice today. Once about 12 hours ago and then again a few minutes ago.

Hello Jo,

The green phlegm can occur due to allergy or due to viral or bacterial infection. That alone is not an alarming symptom. It has to be seen with the other symptoms like fever, shortness of breath, chest pain which may be an indicative of bacterial pneumonia. Occasionally bacterial sinusitis also can cause green phlegm and headache. Since this has been going on for two weeks, this is not likely to be serious. Though this deserves further investigative work up like a chest x-ray, X-rays of sinus and culture test of phlegm. You may call your doctor on Monday. Meanwhile if any new symptoms like fever or shortness of breath occur, going to ER or urgent care would be recommended.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

I will sleep easier tonight because of your assistance and check with my doctor on Monday.

Have a wonderful weekend.

You are very welcome.

Have a very good evening and great week-end.

I will appreciate a positive rating (Excellent / Good) as this is the only we are credited and compensated.

Thank you.