Hello Dukers / Rick,
The redness is likely due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), also called as acid reflux. People who are anxious may have increased acid reflux from stomach to throat. Acid reflux can be treated as following;
1) antacids; Maalox
2) acid blocker; Prilosec / Nexium
3) loosing weight, if overweight.
4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products
5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.
6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.
7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.
For acid reflux (GERD), following also would be helpful;
1) Nux Vomica
C. Nutrition and supplements;
1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil
Please feel free for your follow up questions.