Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

HI DR ARUN! THIS IS DUKERS.my question is i went to a ent doctor

Customer Question

HI DR ARUN! THIS IS DUKERS.my question is i went to a ent doctor because i have that feeling with lump in throat again. she did the scope down the nose and said i was red way down in the throat. she told me it is not cancer.do you think they could be wrong. rason i say this is i still have that feeling in the throat.im taking nexium 2 times a day.plus can nexium cause me cancer down the road because i used it to much.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dukers / Rick,

The redness is likely due to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), also called as acid reflux. People who are anxious may have increased acid reflux from stomach to throat. Acid reflux can be treated as following;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec / Nexium

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

For acid reflux (GERD), following also would be helpful;

A. Herbs;

1) Cranberry
2) Peppermint

B. Homeopathy

1) Nux Vomica
2) Pulsatilla

C. Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i thought you were mad at me. you know who iam rite? can gerd cause cancer and do you think the ent doctor is correct that its not cancer.can cancer of the esophicas start quick or does it take years to get it. plus if i wanted to have a social drink with my golf buddies does that put me in jeperdy

Hi Dukers / Rick,

I remember and know you very well. The redness indicate the inflammation and irritation of the esophagus / food pipe. ENT doctor is right that this is not cancer. All doctors are easily able to identify the cancer and more worried about it than any patient. Cancer of esophagus would not start suddenly. Social drinking is allowed.

It is privilege assisting you.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi dr arun! say if I drank on Saturdays only and maybe Wednesday 2 to 3 drinks am I causing my self to get cancer of the esophicas or the throat or mouth.when you say you don't get cancer of the mouth or throat or esophicas quickly what does that mean? takes years or months.can you explain to me ty.

Hello Rick / Dukers,

Cancer of esophagus takes years to develop. The drinks frequency and amount you mentioned is not likely to cause cancer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

dr I have been under so much stress that I turned to drinking. I drank on Saturdays about 10 drinks and Wednesday 2 to 3. I just feel like my body and mind is falling apart. im so tired anymore.i don't drink all the time but the last 2 mounths I have been off in on.i feel like im loosing control!

Please do not panic or get anxious, which does not help. Excess drinking too would not help and cause problem like stomach ulcer. Anxiety can be treated by the following measures by yourself;

1) Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and operant-behavioral therapy (OBT); done by a psychologist.

2) Relaxation training and biofeedback.

3) Hypnosis

4) Acupuncture and acupressure

5) Yoga

6) Meditation

7) Group sporting activities

8) St. John's wort

9) Melatonin
10) Valerian root

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so you think no cancer of mouth and throat or esophicas correct. if so thank you so much and I will be taking care of you as aleays love you doc.you have been with me for along time. thank you!!!!

You are very welcome.

No ,there is no cancer of mouth or esophagus. Please do not worry.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi dr arun! I sent you another payment today for yesterday. dr arun why is it that sometimes it feels like something in throat. I know and you know I have been checked. it comes and goes .what do you think that's from?you said ent doctor would detect if there was something wrong,plus you told me not to worry.i know you can die from gerd but I take nexium. is it stress and I don't know that or is it from eating. like I have said it comes and goes.

Hello and welcome Dukers / Rick,

Thanks for the payment. I really appreciate it. This is likely to be Globus; a psychological phenomenon of something causing difficulty in swallowing or something in throat (there is a condition called as Globus sensation, which may be responsible for the symptom which you are experiencing). Please read this resource;

http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec02/ch007/ch007e.html

Globus is quite a common phenomenon and many times can be associated with anxiety. Acid reflux too can cause this. Nothing worrisome here. Take my word.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

hi dr arun! I hope you and your family are doing well. dr arun first my dad fell and broke his back. so I work all day than I go to the hospital very tired. dr arun went to my gastonigal doctor. I told him my stomach feels nausa and stomach hurts all the time. my left side espically from the hip bone all the way up to my arm pitt hurts most of the time. if I sit it hurts if I lean to the left side it hurts.this cant be normal. my gi doctor saids it ibs I don't think hes rite.what do you think. why does my stomach hurt all the time anymore and why do I feel nausa please help.

Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 9 months ago.
Thanks rick for the question.

The stomach can hurt due to IBS.

Medications like neostigmine, bethanechol, metoclopramide, cisapride, and loperamide may help you.

Following measures collectively may help;

1) Fiber supplementation may improve motions. Citrucel and FiberCon may produce less flatulence than psyllium compounds (Metamucil).

2) Caffeine avoidance may limit exacerbation.

3) Lactose and/or fructose should also be limited or avoided.

4) Lomotil and the other medications we discussed above. All of these are prescription medications.

Please rate the answer so I can be paid.

Thank you.

Best regards
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

dr arun you don't think its pancreas cancer. the reason I ask is because when I eat or drink something I bloat up.stomach always feels full. this is dukers dr arun! you don't feel there is nothing serious wrong with me.the left side feels when im sitting that something is squeezing my stomach. you know I trust you so what ever you say I have no doubts.

Duker,

I know you very well. This can't be pancreas cancer. IBS has bloating as one of the commonest symptom. I would not be worried. This is not likely to be serious. Please do not read Internet for your symptoms which increase your anxiety unnecessarily.