Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

Hello! I am a 43YO healthy female, no health problems. I

Hello!
I am a 43YO healthy female, no health problems.
I have been doing a renovation project in an old attic- nights, after my regular work hours. I have been wearing a mask, but I had to disturb some very old fiberglass insulation, over 3 nights. Tuesday night I worked until midnight, and I started feeling some soreness in my throat. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and now Saturday I have had to cancel work, my throat is very sore and it's painful to swallow. It is also high pollen season here, but I have been indoors a lot.

With a flashlight, there is some redness in my throat, but no white spots, nothing too severe. It is NOT red on the roof of my mouth, no spots. My only other symptom is fatigue, (but I have been over-working myself for weeks, it seems consistent with my workload)

My symptoms are: very painful swallowing and throat soreness. Mild tenderness in the neck lymph nodes, and general fatigue. I have NO headache, NO fever (measured 98.6), no stomach upset, no vomiting, no chills. I have not been exposed to anyone with strep or mono, I have not kissed anyone or shared utensils.

My question: Is this consistent with fiberglass exposure, and if I stay away from the fiberglass, how long until my throat feels better and my energy returns? It concerns me that it has not subsided/ lessened after 3 days. Also, it has not become worse.

Am I at risk of having strep, mono or tonsillitis without having fever, headache, spots or other symptoms? Thank you.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Viral infection can cause these symptoms as well in early phases.

mysticdoc :

However, given your history of fiber glass exposure, this is the likely cause.

mysticdoc :

Immune reaction from the body can cause these symptoms.

mysticdoc :

Usually this may take a week to subside.

mysticdoc :

You need to avoid any fiber glass exposure.

mysticdoc :

If you do not have any shortness of breath or cough, then this is not a serious exposure.

mysticdoc :

Ibuprofen, warm water gurgles will help with the pain.

mysticdoc :

Cepacol sore throat lozenges will help with the swallowing.

Customer: Thank you- I am a massage therapist, and I have cancelled my clients in case this is strep/ contagious. I am concerned to know if it is safe to work with them, . If I have no fever, I assume it is not bacterial or viral?And is it consistent with fiberglass exposure for sore throat and painful swallowing to remain consistent for several days (not better, not worse) with no new exposure; and how long it usually takes to resolve -? and also, so you think I am at risk for strep with no fever or other symptoms?thank you
Customer: No shortness of breath, no cough- thankfully...
mysticdoc :

strep throat is unlikely based on your description.

mysticdoc :

viral infection is still possible.

mysticdoc :

Better to wait out 3 days before resuming your work.

mysticdoc :

usually within 3 to 7 days your symptoms will improve.

Customer: Ah- thank you so much.
mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

Customer: To clarify- fatigue would also be consistent with fiberglass exposure?
mysticdoc :

yes correct

Customer: (I my have answered that myself with my double workload for weeks....)
mysticdoc :

yes that also contributes.

mysticdoc :

drink lot of fluids --gatorade, fruit juice ( orange, lemonade)

Customer: Thank you so much, this website was a good find considering I slept through all the local walk-in clinic hours! Thank you mysticdoc.
mysticdoc :

very welcome

mysticdoc :

best wishes,

Customer: may I ask one last- if there is a viral infection, would that always produce fever? and If I have no fever does that mean no viral/ bacterial infection? My throat has some pinkish inflamed spots, but not the white that I remember from childhood strep. (trying to rule out being contagious)
mysticdoc :

viral infection will not cause fever always.

mysticdoc :

Lack of white spots ( exudates) does make mono or strep unlikely.

mysticdoc :

Other cold viruses can cause sore throat, tender lymph nodes and fatigue.

mysticdoc :

However, the symptoms improve quickly within 3 to 5 days ( max 7 days) usually.

Customer: OK. So: reddish spots are consistent with exposure/irritation (fiberglass); viral infection is low possibility, but possible- but antibiotics would not help that anyway. Bacterial infection would produce fever and that would encourage antibiotics, but no fever so I can probably rule that out.... so if this is a cold virus, then just rest and fluids.... Again, thank you- my biggest concern is to rule out strep or mono- and need for antibiotics. Bedrest, fluids and a cold virus or fiberglass exposure I can handle :)!
mysticdoc :

Antibiotic is necessary.

mysticdoc :

strep is unlikely since your symptoms are mild.

mysticdoc :

Antibiotic is not necessary

mysticdoc :

sorry for the typing error.

Customer: AH! thanks....
mysticdoc :

The symptoms will improve with rest and fluids.

mysticdoc :

very welcome

Customer: OK, thank you so much again, I really appreciate it. Have a great weekend. It is sunny and 70* here (Martha's Vineyard) Hope it's good there too.
mysticdoc :

Thank you very much,

mysticdoc :

Yes it is getting nice here too :)