Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I was diagnosed with trichomoniasis recently, I had it almost

I was diagnosed with trichomoniasis recently, I had it almost a year ago and know I got it from my husband. He admitted to it. This time he swears even after the test he did not cheat. He has never not admitted when the results were there. Is it possible it was dormant or he got it from another source?
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

I am Dr. Phophalia and I would answer your question today.

How were you treated a year ago?
Was your husband also treated?
Were you retested for the trichomoniasis after the treatment?

Thanks for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
we were both treated with flagyl then and we both had alcohol during the treatment
Hello Laureen,

There is a definite possibility that the infection may not have been completely eradicated with the previous treatment. CDC recommends rescreening at 3 months post therapy for sexually active women, as they have a high rate of reinfection. Please see this authentic resource for reference;

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/230617-treatment#a1156

Thus this may not be new infection and an older one may be persisting without giving symptoms earlier which is not uncommon with the trichomoniasis and your husband denying any new contact.

Both of you would need a new course of Flagyl or Tinidazole and a retesting would be needed after three months to confirm that infection has been completely eradicated.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I also forgot to mention that I am diabetic would that be a factor as well
Yes, diabetes may prevent the complete eradication and that can be a factor too.

It is privilege assisting you.