Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Hello Dr. Bray, I have another question but today it

Hello Dr. Bray,
I have another question but today it about myself. So I am a 29 year old female Caucasian. I was out on methadone maintain w back in 2010 and went from 148lbs to 213lbs at my heaviest. I stopped with that medication this past January and have l gotten back down to 165....which feels great! This all may be irrelevant but I am unsure. Anyway lately My muscle, joints ligaments especially in my legs have been very tight and/or always feel like I have pulled/strained a muscle or constantly getting sharp pains like when you do just pull a muscle. It has gotten worse the past few data not horrible just more noticeable to the point I can't walk stairs normally or climb or sometimes even walk normal. The reason this is all a little more alarming than normal is because when I was about 16/17 years old I hurt my knee while playing soccer (played from age 4 until 18) the physical therapist commented in how extremely right I was especially in the legs (example I have NEVER been able to bend down and touch my toes of sit with my Legs out straight) and the therapist said "you better start stretching everyday or you won't be able I walk when your 30!" Now I know this was an exaggeration and a way to scare me into stretching but now I am a little more concerned. Any thought?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : This feeling of a muscle strain is of both legs??
Anthony Bray MD : How long has this been bothering you now?
Anthony Bray MD : What part of your legs?
Anthony Bray MD : Have you had a recent change of exercise routine or something else such as a change in job or prolonged standing??
Anthony Bray MD : I would advise that you start by trying an anti-inflammatory such as Aleve or Advil with food as being probably helpful to some extent...
Anthony Bray MD : I would advise that massage and stretching would indeed be your friends most likley in this regard...
Anthony Bray MD : If you are doing something very strenuous such as running then take a break to see if this helps the discomfort to settle down.. later gradual return to the activity may be OK...
Anthony Bray MD : If severe in nature or getting worse or persisiting then these would to me be red flags that you should consult your doctor (or perhaps an orhtopedist)
Anthony Bray MD : A typical muscle strain will typically gradually improve over a few days to a couple of weeks depending on the severity of injury...(longer in the more severe cases..)
Anthony Bray MD : Aleve/ rest/ massage/ stretching before and after exercise in the long run usually helps to prevent reinjury...
Anthony Bray MD : Sometimes topical products such as Aspercream may be surprisingly helpful...
Anthony Bray MD : I hope this is helpful for you!
Anthony Bray MD : Let me know if you have more specific information or further questions or discussion adn I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that you feel better soon!
Anthony Bray MD : If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer: So the pain is not severe feels similar to when you work out after being not so in shape /
Customer: the pain is more of an uncomfortable feeling with sudden sharp pain in lower calf exactly the same feeling as when you pull a muscle. The soreness is mostly in the left calf and behind both knees with lighter soreness in thighs and lower and upper back as if I slept wrong. I think I I either did pull my calf muscle of certainly feels like it- But I do not recall the actual injury(pull) so the left calf for almost a month now- it feels like I re-pull it every couple of days just when it's starts feeling a lite less sore. That is what causes the shooting sharp pains. The back is more recent at about 1-2 weeks and the back of the knees and thighs and right cf only a few days- does seem much more stiff this evening-felt I needed to kept my legs as straight as possible when taking stairs or walking. These activities cause the sharp pains in legs- I have not changed any of my daily routines or activities. And when I say I am tight I want to express that- when trying to touch my toes I can only get halfway down my calfs (it's always been like this since I was very young) even with daily stretching and physical therapy 3 times a week at 16-17 there was no improvement.
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice