Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have had an ongoing horrible taste in my mouth. Sometimes

I have had an ongoing horrible taste in my mouth. Sometimes my tongue is rough. It never goes completely away. Now my lips taste metallic, also my fingers. Even ny mucus is metallic. It is driving me crazy. Started when I was taking no meds at all. Been taking vitamins and b-12. I have an appt with ENT in 3 weeks.
Hi--how long has this been going on and have you had any tests or studies to find the cause? Your other medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For a couple of monthS. had a complete physical in October. Blood work bone density, mammo, pap. Everything was fine. Taking no prescriptions. No surgeries, healthy except for being 50 pounds overweight.

OK--specifically were you tested for B12 deficiencies, acid reflux, sinus or gum or tooth infections, zinc deficiencies, and were your screened for autoimmune disorders?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know what was included in blood work except for cholesterol I have excellent oral health, actually going to dentist on Monday. I started taking b-12 and zinc seemed to get worse so stopped taking the zinc. It seemed to start after an airplane ride where there was terrible pressure at landing. Ears hurt for a couple of days. Thought that might have some thing to do with it. Have had some acid reflux in the past but this goes on ALL day. At first it was a horrible tast at the back of my tongue. Now it's more metallic tasting. Sometimes my tongue seems swollen. It is white sometimes and sometimes it seems yellow.

OK--I can only give you the possibilities here, and we can continue beyond this if you need more information. First and foremost would be a chronic sinus infection, even if you have no nasal discharge or fever, and I would get a ct scan of your sinuses to look for that. It could be a tooth or gum infection but without pain in those areas that wouldn't be likely. You could be B12 deficient even if you're taking it orally if you have a B12 absorption problem so I would check blood work for that if it hasn't been done. Finally, and least likely, an autoimmune disorder called Sjogren's syndrome can cause these symptoms so I would do blood work to look for that. The white tongue could be thrush--a yeast infection--so I would also consider that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should I see a regular MD before my appt with ENT on 6/24? We are new to area and I thought the specialist was where I should start.

Well a regular MD could look at you, do the blood work and the ct scan and if this is a sinus infection, I'd start just with antibiotics to clear it. I honestly don't think your first stop should be an ENT specialist