Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My left wrist hurts to bend back and forth. I can barely bend

My left wrist hurts to bend back and forth. I can barely bend it back without there being a lot of pain. When I bend it forward it looks like my bone pops out just a little bit and there is a small dent in front of it that hurts a lot to put pressure on. It has hurt for a while. What should I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 1 year ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

I would recommend that you see an orthopedic specialist for this problem...

Customer:

Do you think it is a bone or a cyst

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that you may have a wrist sprain , likley and possibly a ganglion cyst...

Anthony Bray MD :

I think what you see "pop out" is more probably a ganglion cyst...

Customer:

what can I do until then? should i buy a brace

Customer:

it isn't a big bump but it is more than my right wrist

Anthony Bray MD :

You may try a brace to see if this seems to help and try an anti-inflammatory for the pain.. Aleve 1 to 2 tabs twice a day with food...

Customer:

what will happen if it is a cyst?

Anthony Bray MD :

You may try a cold compress to see if you have some sense of relief with that as well..

Anthony Bray MD :

It may depend on the size and location of the cyst...

Anthony Bray MD :

It may need surgery or just leave it alone if it is small enough and not that problematic...

Customer:

i can barely bend it back without pain so I don't know if i should put a brace or what

Anthony Bray MD :

Many people just put up with small cysts and never have anything done to them... it may help to avoid sharp flexion or extension of the wrist to prevent worsening...

Anthony Bray MD :

It is hard to say without the benefit of exam of your wrist...

Anthony Bray MD :

I think that a brace would probably help in that it would tend to keep the wrist in a more neutral position...

Customer:

the brace wouldn't take the cyst away thought, right?

Anthony Bray MD :

No it would not remove the cyst...

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope that this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you have further questions!

Anthony Bray MD :

I will be happy to get back with you!

Customer:

Thank you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated!

Anthony Bray MD :

Thank you and best regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice