Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Do calcified appendicolith go away? How do I get them? Can

Do calcified appendicolith go away? How do I get them? Can even a little amount make pain and make appendix go bad /need to be removed?

I can appreciate your concern.

Calcified appendicoliths are calcified masses in the appendix. They form when something is trapped in the appendix - the appendix is a blind end and when something like a food partilcle or fecal particle enters here, they can sometimes get trapped and calcium is gradually deposited on them forming a calcified mass.

They do not go away by themselves.

Appendicoliths are often asymptomatic causing no pain or any symptoms. But sometimes even a small appendicolith can cause symptoms leading to appendicitis, and it then needs to be removed.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So i understand it doesn't cause pain but now that it is there it can possibly keep getting bigger to where appendix needs to be removed? What can now get trapped on current calcium mass? This showed up on ct scan as minor, could it still possible pass or most likely there to stay?
Yes, now that it is there it will have a tendency to grow slowly.

But this is not always the case - sometimes the mass can stay unchanged for long and nothing else is needed except occassional monitoring

Nothing else will get trapped, instead the body will add layers of calcium to the mass.

Even though minor, such masses will not usually pass on its own and it is more likely to stay.

Are you satisfied with my answer? Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need.
Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So if I end up in the future having possible issues with pain they can repeat ct scan and see if there is any change? What side usually bothers u if for some reason your appendix needs to come out?
Yes, thats right, repeat the CT and compare.

THe right lower side of abdomen will bother you most.

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful and I will make sure to rate the highest for u.
glad that i could help.