Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My Ocd involved repeatedly picking up a knife by the wooden

My Ocd involved repeatedly picking up a knife by the wooden handle and setting it down then up and turning it from one side to the other side. Sorry to ask this but does this motion of turning it or touching it again harm anything?
Absolutely no harm done to your heart or to your brain or, for that matter, any part of your body. Sorry for being flippant but is your subconscious hoping that somehow you'll come up with some specific movement or object to look at or whatever where I will finally say yes you did injure something?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No its okay I really tried hard to stop this but I needed reassurance
But you seem to hold on to the reassurance for such a short time. Have you ever considered that you might actually want to do damage to your heart?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No never I am just scared of fast heart rate
But think a minute about what I said
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did but i would never want my heart to be harmed
I wasn't talking about conscious thoughts. Let's put it this way--if I did tell you that there was some special movement or something very specific you could look at--something you'd never done before--that would definitely harm your heart, do you think you could keep yourself from ever doing it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes I would never do what that was
Somehow I doubt that but maybe so. Since when you do these things you think you will be hurting your heart, why do you do them or why don't you immediately stop doing them? I'm trying to make a point here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My Ocd makes me think by redoing them I will be safe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So even if my heart is beating fast these motions will not harm anything?
But there are times when you have been able to stop doing them, so what does your OCD say about that? And stop for a moment with asking the same question over and over.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It depends on the situation and will power to stop the Ocd activity
I guess you're missing my point here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I should just stop doing the Ocd activities instead of repeating them
No, that wasn't my point. What I'm trying to get at is the real reason why you're having so much of a problem with this. Did it ever occur to you that the idea that you might harm your heart is somewhat pleasing to your subconscious?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No my subconscious is playing games with my mind telling me harm will come to my heart falsely during these Ocd episodes
Yes but why would your subconscious do that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I wish I knew why
Well, what I'm trying to point out is I think this isn't just simple OCD with you--just a neurotransmitter problem and that's why the meds and the CBT aren't effective. I think there's a battle going on inside you and I don't know if it's just a grief process unaddressed or more a problem with your past.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do you fix a neurotransmitter? I did start grief therapy
Sorry if that wasn't clear above--I don't think it is a neurotransmitter problem, otherwise the meds you're on should have made some difference with it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I agree maybe time for new medication?
No, what I'm saying is I don't think you have a problem that medication is going to fix.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If CBT is not working as strong then what alternative methods do I have?
We've talked about that before--you need some standard psychoanalysis involving grief therapy and your past to get at the real cause for the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry Dr Chip my Ocd involved lifting a plastic cookie container lid up and down with my left hand and my heart was beating a little faster I did try counting to stop the activity am I ok
Yes you're fine but why are you avoiding what I'm saying?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Psychiatrist put me on 10 mg of Paxil yesterday and I am having trouble staying awake today
Did you take it today?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Last night and I feel nausius today

Not uncommon side effects--usually they subside after a week.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This morning I kept staring at two digital alarm clocks on my dressers. I kept feeling anxious if I took my gaze off them something bad would happen?
No harm at all and really time to close this page with a rating
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can looking at then turning the back side monitor base of a small blood pressure kit affect heart or is this just my Ocd acting up again?
Just your OCD and I've told you before time and again it doesn't matter what you may be looking at or whether you stop yourself from looking at whatever--that will never affect your heart
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I stop looking up at two screws on the ceiling?
Kind of a simple answer--just don't do it
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So even though my Ocd tries to make me look at them just ignore them by not looking up?
Exactly--no harm to your heart by doing that