Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Ive written about my brother before on here, 41 years old,

I've written about my brother before on here, 41 years old, HIV+, had previously been in a coma and then on a ventilator for 2 weeks because of trauma to his lungs from an overdose of Seroquel, 6,000mg. His lung function subsequently improved, and he was taken off the ventilator 3 days ago. Is breathing on his own now, with tubes inserted in his nostrils. Oxygenation rate approximately 98-100. This morning, he experienced a collapsed lung that resulted in difficulty breathing and they had to put an oxygen mask on him. Subsequently they put a chest tube in through the armpit area. Now back to breathing on his own with tubes in nostrils. Question is, his blood cultures seem normal, xrays of chest getting progressively better save for the collapsed lung this morning. Question is, what could be causing it? Is it serious or will he recover from it?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Customer:

yes it was definitely a setback

Customer:

but he's still off the ventilator and breathing with just the nose tubes

Dr Brims :

If is blood cultures are negative, it may be better within a few weeks

Dr Brims :

That is good

Dr Brims :

The collapsed lung may have been due to a mucus plug in his airway

Customer:

yes it's strange that with his lungs getting consistently better one just collapsed like that.

Customer:

one second please

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

ok i'm back sorry. yes I'm worried but is a mucus plug something serious or can they treat it?

Dr Brims :

It is not serious, they can treat it

Dr Brims :

As the inflammation in his airways improves, the mucus plugs will reduce

Customer:

ok, is a collapsed lung usually indicative of pneumonia of some sort? He is already on very powerful antibiotics.

Customer:

So we didn't think pneumonia, or at least pneumonia serious enough to cause a collapsed lung, would be an issue

Customer:

he's on vancomycin and zosyn

Dr Brims :

No, it is not indicative of pneumonia

Customer:

ok, that's good

Customer:

But he is very weak and cannot stand on his own or even lift his arms

Customer:

but that should improve with time

Customer:

ok, thanks for helping me out

Dr Brims :

That should improve with time

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome