Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have been having dizzy spells for a couple months now, (more

I have been having dizzy spells for a couple months now, (more of a lightheaded feeling) along with hot flashes. I have been to the ER a few times and they ran CT scans, EKGs, and ran several blood tests. My doctor later diagnosed these as panic attacks. While I do believe that I was having panic attacks as a result of the feelings, I think there may be something else. I am taking Effexor XR and Buspar. I am having the problems less often, but they are still happening. Any suggestions?
Hi--can you describe the lightheaded feeling a bit more and how long does it last and how often do you get it? Do you know what blood tests were done? When this happens, any heart palpitations?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just feel kind of like I am going to pass out... Nothing gets black, but my vision does get a little impaired. It happens maybe once a week. They tested my sugars, potassium, and I am not sure what else, but everything came back normal. No heart palpitations. The hot flashes have been happening about once a day.

Any idea what your blood pressure is like at those times?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

At both trips to the ER, my blood pressure was normal, and also trips to the doctor it has been normal.

But was it taken while you felt the passing out feeling? And again, how long does the feeling last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was not taken during those times. It has lasted anywhere from about 5 minutes to close to 30 minutes.

OK--while this could be anxiety/panic attacks, it could be what's calle POTS--postural orthostatic hypotension--or it could be a low cortisol problem and I doubt that was checked for in the ER. I would have the cortisol checked and I would have a neurologist take a look at you and to what's called a tilt table test to look for POTS