Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I have a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck, its

I have a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck, it's causing alot of pain. My right ear also hurts, and now the right side of my throat hurts, I looked and saw a big red spot on my soft palate. It really hurts to swallow, and now I'm getting jaw pain and it hurts to open my mouth. I saw a doctor lastnight, he told me I have tonsillitis. I I don't have tonsils, so I told him this and he said it's my adenoids. I didn't think you could see adenoids just by looking in the mouth. Is this diagnosis correct? I was prescribed amoxicillin and im 16 weeks pregnant.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

What doctor did you consult? Was it an ENT specialist?

How long has it been hurting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it was ust my family doctor.

It started hurting five days ago, but it was just a spot undwr my jaw on the right side of my neck that hurt to the touch, then i woke up yesterdayand it was as i described above. i started the antibiotics lastnight, so far it feels like its getting worse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also ive been getting headaches for the past few weeks, i dont know if thats relevent. I just thought it was because im pregnant.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The side of the soft palate that has the big red spot on it looks lower then the other side too.

Sorry, I could not reply you because I had some problem with my computer and had to be offline.

If your tonsils are already operated , then there is no chance for tonsilitis! In which case, the chances for pharyngitis or inflammation of the pharyngeal wall is high (the reason for the red spot on the soft palate). This can well be a cause for the pain in the right ear because of associated eustachain tube block or collapse of the tube that connects the pharynx to the ear.So, amoxicillin is good enough for you as it is considered to be safe during pregnancy.

Another less common possibility if inflammation of the parotid gland known as "mumps" on the right side. But this does not explain the red spot on the soft palate.

So, I think you are on correct track with the antibiotic with the possible diagnosis being tonsillitis.
And yes, the adenoid cannot be easily see with the naked eye. So, I would suggest consulting with an ENT doctor to confirm what I have just said above.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i saw another doctor yesterday, he said it looks like a bacterial infection. He took a swab, and said to stay on the amoxicillin. Today its gotten even worse, my uvula has doubled in size and lools quite inflamed. im still able to breathe okay, but its more difficult then it should be. and i can not eat at all.

There is no point changing your antibiotic as other antibiotics are not safe during pregnancy.
The bacterial infection is likely to be of the pharyngeal wall and the tonsil (as already stated b me). The increase in size of the uvula could be due to "paratonsillar abscess" which sometimes occurs as a complication of acute tonsillitis. But there is no way that you can operate such a tonsil. So, antibiotics is the only resort.

You should also start hexidine gargling 3 to 4 times daily which will also help to curb the bacterial infection.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.