Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hello, I am prescribed by my Psychiatrist to take: Clonazepam

Hello, I am prescribed by my Psychiatrist to take:

Clonazepam 0.5Mg (Klonopin) every 8 hours as needed for anxiety (temporary)
D-Amphetamine Salts Combo (Adderall) 20Mg twice a day for adult ADHD

I take the Clonazepam occasionally and for about a month and only one dose on days I take it. I take the Adderall 2 times a day most weekdays and not during weekends.

I have to take a pre-employment drug screening with Chevron and was wondering what I should do - disclose the use to the Lab prior to the test (and provide the script bottles), wait for a positive result, or abstain from use for a few days? This is for an office position working in IT.

I am 42, slightly overweight, moderately active, overall good health (physically) and do not drink alcohol or use illegal drugs. I drink adequate water and take a multi every day and A LOT of coffee (8+ cups). I also live in California.

Prescription drugs should be disclosed beforehand. Both of your medications (Clonazepam and Adderall) have long duration of half life; thus are likely to be detected in the test. Since you are taking them on a valid prescription; there is absolutely no issue about their detection and employment.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your response - I do have one follow up question. My psychiatrist suggested I do not specify the medications and refer them to him so he can assure confidentiality, I personally feel this would appear "suspicious" and I did have to sign a waiver around sharing test results. I know that ADHD doesn't have too much stigma around it these days (some people brag about it!) but I would rather not have my boss know the specifics of my medications as mental issues can cause concern in people who do not understand them. The question is, would full disclosure put me at such a risk or are my concerns unfounded.

Hello and welcome, Jon.

Full disclosure is unlikely to pose risk and all of the medical information specifics are usually not shared with the immediate boss. So higher administration only is likely to know about the specifics of medical issues and medications. Usually drug testing results would be shared with higher echelon in the organization. ADHD and anxiety are not uncommon and would not carry any stigma.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun