Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have had an intense pain all over the abdomen for nearly

I have had an intense pain all over the abdomen for nearly 24 hours. I can still urinate but have had no bowel movemtn in more than 24 hours. I have vomited once and had a lot of undigested food from more than 10 hours previous. The pain is constant and all over but tends to come in waves. i have had my gall bladder removed, had a history of kidney stones (teince) and tend to have blockages in my intestinges, but they tend to pass within a couple hours.

Greetings Christian .

I am Dr. Phophalia. I am a General surgeon and I would assist you today.

Do you have bloating, gas, tenderness and inability to pass gas (difficulty passing gas)?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tend to have a lot of gas but had none recently. There is a slight bloating in the stomach area. There is an increase in pain if I lie down or turn to either side.

Hello Christian,

The most likely possibility for your symptoms are;

1) Intestinal obstruction due to scarring from the previous surgery. OR
2) Pain due to Renal stone / Ureteric stone; when stone passes from the kidney to bladder via ureter, the intestines ceases their peristalsis / movement, which is termed as paralytic isles.

Both of these conditions would need an ultrasound, an x-ray of the abdomen and may be a CT scan to confirm the cause. So going to either an urgent care clinic or ER would be recommended. You may need an enema and intravenous fluids. Home use enema are not advised till cause of this is ascertained.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is the first time this has happened and my gall bladder surgery was nearly 2 years ago si I don't scarring could be the problem. I was just wondering if there was an blockage since it tend to have them fairly often.

Hello Christian,

A paralytic ileus can also occur due to low potassium which may secondarily happen due to vomiting or electrolyte imbalance. Intestinal obstruction due to other causes like twisting of intestines are also fairly common. The intensity of your symptoms would dictate whether you can do a watchful waiting or need to go to a doctor. If the symptoms are mild, you may wait and watch. If there is no abdominal tenderness, you may use suppository for the bowel movement. Avoid an enema though. If the symptoms are moderate to severe, it is advisable to go to a doctor.

It is privilege assisting you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do also have Addison's Disease. Too much potassium is very toxic due to this condition, but again, I have had this condition for more than 20 years and this is the first occurance of this problem.

With the Addison's disease, we have to be more cautious with your these symptoms as electrolyte imbalances can be easy with the vomiting and not passing motion for more than 24 hours. Thus getting blood work for electrolytes would be advised with the medical imaging like x-ray and ultrasound.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just want you to know after speaking with you I went to the ER at my local hospitol and was diagnosed with extreme inflamation of both my liver and pancreas. I had surgery in a couple days to remove some stones that were lodged in the tubes leading from my liver and pancreas, but none were found. Instead they made incisions in case stone did show up they would pass more easlily. I have had no more pain and am having a follow up with my VA doctor on July 10.

Thanks Christian, for taking time for follow up. I really appreciate it.

Occasionally there are very tiny concretions which block the bile and pancreatic ducts causing them to be inflamed and resultant paralytic ileus. It is good that passage of these ducts have opened up and you are pain free. You would need blood work for liver and pancreatic function tests on your July 10 visit to the doctor.

It is great pleasure and privilege interacting you