Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

I have been experiencing a sharp, stinging pain in the back

I have been experiencing a sharp, stinging pain in the back of my left thigh, almost stabbing and throbbing pain when I stretch out my leg during sleep in the middle of the night. The pain last for about 1 minute but it is imbearable. Should I be concerned about having a blot clot? This has been going on, on and off now for over a month or two.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I could not find your answer to my question...

I can appreciate your concern.

Rather than a deep vein clot, this sounds more like Sciatica.

Sciatica is inflammation of the sciatic nerve.

The nerve runs down the back of your thigh. Pain during stretching the leg is typical.

Best to get this checked up by your doctor. Ask about sciatica. This can usually be tackled well by physiotherapy. Also ask about the possibility of DVT. Since DVT cannot be ruled out completely, go for the earliest appointment that you can get with your doctor.

Hope this shows you the way forward - wish you good health and a quick recovery.

I hope my answer has helped you gain more knowledge and confidence about your problem and in knowing what to discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer has satisfied you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Dr.P.Jyoti, MD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you SO much! I will go to my doctor first thing tomorrow morning. Have a great day!

Glad to help.

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, please rate my service.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Thank you.