Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice
15267045

I went for a physical and yearly papsmear. I mention to Dr.

Customer Question

I went for a physical and yearly papsmear. I mention to Dr. that felt bladder pressured. I was prescribed cipro for 3 days. Then after the papsmear results came I was prescribed 500mg 3 times a day for 7 days. I was just told when I called that I needed to take it because Cipro won't work. I wasn't told the reason when I asked the person on the phone. I made another appointment to find out. I don't understand why Cirpo won't work. In the past 5 years I hadn't had an UTI and when I did I asked for Cipro. I HAVE READ ON OTHER SITES AND SOME SAY IT MAY BE AN STD. I AM WORRY WHAT STD. I am in this new relationship for 2 months.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Greetings.

I am Dr. Phophalia and would assist you today.

Do you have increased frequency of urination, burning urination, urgency?
Was a urine test / urine culture done?
Apart from bladder pressure do you have any other symptoms?
What is your age?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have frequent urination, yes a urine test was done. I noticed a different color of discharge, and red bumps on pubic area the second day of intercourse, I also mention it to Dr. and left side pelvis had sharp pain and my period was late.

What is the color of the discharge?
Was a vaginal swab, STD screening and a urine culture test done?
Did your routine urine test show any infection?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

To be honest with you, I was just prescribed Cipro 250mg 2 times a day for 3 days after urine test. Then a week later I just received a call for another antibiotic. I wasn't give a follow up appointment but I made another one. I still feel the same was as before.

A white cheesy vaginal discharge would point to yeast infection. This does not smell.

The other possibility to consider would be bacterial vaginosis. The clinical diagnosis of bacterial vaginosis is made if three of the four following signs are present:

1) A grayish-white vaginal discharge;

2) A vaginal pH exceeding a value of 4.5;

3) The presence of so-called clue cells on saline wet mount;

4) A fishy or amine odor after the addition of a 10% potassium hydroxide solution (positive whiff or sniff test).

Treatment of the bacterial vaginosis is cumbersome. Following are the treatment modalities;

1) Metronidazole (flagyl) and clindamycin have been the drugs of choice.

2) Azithromycin too is effective. Secnidazole, ornidazole and tinidazole are also used.

3) Antiseptics as vaginal suppositories;

a) benzydamine,

b) chlorhexidine,

c) dequalinium chloride,

d) polyhexamethylene biguanide,

e) povidone iodine

f) hydrogen peroxide

4) Probiotics

5) Stop douching or bubble bath, if you do.

6) Avoid liquid soaps and body wash.

A urine culture is the best investigation to establish the urinary tract infection as it not only confirms the infection but also tells about the best antibiotic to eradicate the infection. With your symptoms, chance of STD is low though, no harm in getting a STD screening just for the cautionary reasons, especially if the urine culture is negative.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

It would be best to request for a STD panel testing to set your mind at ease.A antibiotic to treat the folliculitis/red bumps on the pubis till the results of the STD come back would help.It would bebest if both the partners are tested and treated together to prevent passing any infection to-and fro.

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice
As I mentioned in my detailed answer, STD screening is usually recommended with your symptoms for the cautionary reasons and for the exact diagnosis. There can be UTI and STD concomitantly.

It is privilege assisting you.
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for accepting the answer.I am available on the site to answer any follow up/other questions.