Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice

GGT001958 blood work item

Customer Question

I would like to know exactly what a "GGT001958" item on a blood test (with a range of 0-65) is supposed to tell you, and why/how I could post a level of 48 on this test and then, just 6-months later, get a reading of 161 ??

Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.

Vakul Aren :

Welcome to Just Answer.GGT or Gamma Glutamyl Transpeptidase is an enzyme found in the body,mainly the liver.Its elevation co-relates with liver,biliary system and pancreatic disease.It is also used as a marker for certain addictions,especially excessive alcohol intake.Recently it has been found elevated in Cardiovascular Disease,type 2 diabetes with increased body mass.GGT has been found in atherogenous plaques,hence it is linked to atherosclerosis.The usual cause of such elevation of GGT is increased alcohol intake 3-4 weeks prior to the test.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX! That was a comprehensive answer and you hit the nail right on the head! For some months prior to the test with the high reading, I had been consuming easily 2-bottles of (cheap) 7-8% alcohol wine, plus often a bottle of 14% champagne to chase it, so it all comes at no great surprise, but I didn't know it was THAT bad. Obviously, it was! As you can imagine, other liver functions that I was already familiar with were also in the ozone on that test, although I had no idea what the GGT001958 reading meant. Many thanks for clarifying that and interpreting it for me! By the way, it might please you to know that I stopped drinking altogether right after that test, based on the other readings alone. Now, you just gave me one more reason to stay dry. Thanks again!

Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),30yrs experience in practice
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating and good feedback.I am happy that you decided to abstain from alcohol till your GGt returns to normal and be selective in your alcohol consumption thereafter.I wish you good health and happiness.I am available to answer any other queries if asked for by name.