Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

i am at risk of hiv

Hi. 32 days ago. A got a woman from a bar. She gave me unprotected oral sex, I kissed her and put my finger in her vagina. I washed my hands with water and soap, dried them but 5 -10 but minutes later the same finger was wounded. I quickly sprayed by a perfume. 3 days later, the following happened: 1- I felt very tired for 2-3 hours, but then i was fine. Over the past 32 days, I felt tired for 3-4 times each for 2-3 hours maximum. My bones and joints are okay though my entire body was tired as if my legs can not carry me or my lap top becomes heavier when i carry it. 2-I had night sweating for 4-5 nights 3- 3-4 times breathing difficulty for 10-20 minutes maximum 4- Some red skin rash on shoulders, back, and stomach. 5- Had diarrhea for 3 weeks with stomach pain. 6- I also felt that my tongue is becoming white in the morning before eating but after eating, it is red ( I take kidney rejection medicine to reduce my immunity) On the other hand: 1- I had no fever at all. My temperature did not exceed 37.1 max and in usually in the range of 36.5 2- I had no swollen glands 3- No headache 4- No pain in bones or muscles (except the few times when i feel i am tired). Blood tests: - I tested PCR test at 14 days ( sample was collected in Beirut and done in Paris): It was negative - I tested HIV1/2 & P24 antigen at 21 days and it was negative for both bearing in mind no antibodies will appear in my case before six months because my rejection medicine, but more importantly the P24 antigen was negative. My question: 1- Generally, am I at risk after these signs? 2- Are PCR @ 14 days and P24 antigen @ 21 days are reliable enough? or can give me false negative? 3- Shall I repeat the PCR at 35 days for confirmation? 4- Does my rejection medicine could prevent some signs like fever to appear?

Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied, You need to relax ,I do not think what you did put you at HIGH risk of catching an HIV infection. Although it is possible to transmit HIV through oral sex,the risk is extremely low because the viral load in the saliva is insufficient , decreasing the probabilities of catching an infection through oral sex.

However , with all the symptoms You have been experiencing ,You could have caught a virus like infectious mononucleosis ,bacterial or fungal infection like candida ,but not HIV . In your case , taking these rejection medications could suppress and weaken your immune system , increasing your risk of catching opportunistic infection.

As consequence ,if these symptoms do not go away , you should consult a doctor to have a complete panel of blood ,stool and urine tests done to investigate if there is other type of infection . Your doctor will prescribe you antibiotics if it is necessary.

The PCR and P24 are reliable enough and there is no need to repeat them . The advantage of these tests is that they detect the virus itself not the antibodies your body produces to attack the virus like the ELISA and the Western Blot tests , making them more accurate to detect the infection even in patients who are taking immunosuppressant medications .

Although your rejection medicine could prevent some signs to appear like fever , what you did and the tests you took confirmed you do not have HIV , so there is no need to be worried.

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.