Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Hello - I want to ask you a question on Haradas - are you able

Hello - I want to ask you a question on Haradas - are you able to assist? Is this considered a 'new' post?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I will be able to assit you

Dr Brims :

Can I return to you at approximately 10am EST?

Customer:

Sure no prob.

Dr Brims :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX return at that time

Customer:

Are you back now, Dr.?

Dr Brims :

Yes I am back

Dr Brims :

Thank you for your patience

Customer:

Hello - so the only symptoms I have had with haradas is the fluid in both eyes, more so in the right eye, and inflammation of the choroid. Nothing else. Some doctors say it was a case of CSR (I was under a tremendous amt. of stress esp. the day that the problem began) and one of the top docs. says it is Haradas - although he is curious as to the atypical nature of it. Thoughts?

Customer:

Also, the fluid re-absorbed prior to any steroid in-take. The fluid self absorbed in 2.5 weeks. At that point I went on steroids for 3.5 weeks - doc had initially wanted me on steroids for 3 mths. but took me off quickly as the fluid had pretty much almost all, already reabsorbed; stated steroids would help with bringing down the choroid being inflammed. From my understanding the choroid also becomes inflamed in CSR - so could it be that?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it could be CSR

Dr Brims :

Was the doctor an ophthalmologist?

Customer:

Yes - they are all well known, top opthomologists.

Customer:

in NYC and in Harvard MA

Customer:

Does the fluid reabsorb on its own in haradas?

Dr Brims :

No, it usually does not reabsorb on its own in Haradas

Customer:

I see - does the choroid get inflammed in CSR too?

Customer:

Are you there, doctor?

Dr Brims :

yes

Dr Brims :

The choroid is usually not inflamed in CSR, but it may be on occassion

Customer:

does the choroid get inflammed in csr too? or just haradas?

Dr Brims :

It can be inflamed in any type of uveitis

Dr Brims :

The inflamed choroid does not indicate Haradas nor CSR

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

just one minute

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

sorry thanks

Customer:

I don't think i had uveitis

Customer:

did i?

Customer:

So if no other symptoms existed then prob clsoer to CSR i imagine -

Dr Brims :

Yes, it was likely closer to CSR

Customer:

Even if in both eyes- and i am a female in my 30's

Dr Brims :

yes,that is correct

Customer:

This is why I was so nervous about my nail yesterday becauase any 'little' change in my body (apparenlty in VKH there are skin or could be skin and hair changes, etc...) - because I thoguht maybe haradas or vkh could affect nails too?

Dr Brims :

They rarely affect the nails

Customer:

and if they do the whole nail turns black?

Dr Brims :

Yes usually the whole nail turns black

Customer:

Or is it more like vitiligo then it turns white?

Dr Brims :

Do you take any medication?

Customer:

I have been taking 'haldi' - curcumin - in powder form - tumeric. No other medication.

Dr Brims :

Okay

Dr Brims :

Is there anything else you would like to ask on this topic?

Customer:

So you really do not think the nail thing is related nor is it anything to worry about? Wonder why this would happen -

Customer:

Not yet, Doctor, nothing else on this topic for the time being - I thank you for your assistance.

Dr Brims :

No, I don't think it is related or anything to worry about

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future, you may start the question with "Dr Brims", and I will respond

Customer:

Ok, I will hit you up again should I have further questions. Regards -

Customer:

Ok - thank you.

Dr Brims :

Please remember to click a rating button prior to exiting the chat session

Customer:

Doing so now.

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Brims, another question - what makes you think this would be CSCR and not haradas? In addition, w/VKH, do the hair/skin changes happen right away/at same time that the eye issues happen or can they take months to come up?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Do you have anxiety disorder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think at times, yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would you be able to answer my question (s)?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I think you should ask your doctor about treatment for anxiety disorder, you have asked this question multiple times and I have already answered above. I think it is CSR because the symptoms subsided before you started steroids
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr., what I went through with my eyes was an extremely terrifying situation. Not everything deems a treatment for an 'anxiety disorder'. And I did not ask you this question before - I merely gave you reasons why other docs thought it could be CSCR - not as to why your opinion is what it is.

Since you are a trusted doctor on this site, I thought it may be appropriate for me to ask - please correct me if I am wrong.

And you did not answer the following question: If w/VKH hair and skin changes happen right away with the eye issue, or can they happen after a period of time (months years)...I had not asked this question before.

It's unfortunate that you appear to be getting frustrated - although I am paying for the services rendered and trying not to repeat myself, just being as thorough as possible for my own peace of mind. I thought that is what this membership allowed me to do was to ask questions about a topic until I got satisfactory answers -

Please let me know if you are able to address the above question or not.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You stated above that you don't think you had uveitis, that is why I don't think you had Haradas.

With VKH the skin changes can happen right away, or after a period of time (months)

You are free to ask any questions you want, I am not frustrated at all.

I asked if you have anxiety disorder because I honestly think you do have it, there are many questions that you seem to have repeated, perhaps with different wording, but, it still seems you have asked "if I think you have Haradas" more than once, and you also asked "if I think the nail symptoms you have are associated with Haradas" more than once. These are common signs of anxiety disorder

I apologize if I have offended you, but I have an obligation to be honest with you and give a professional assessment. I am also sorry to hear about the bad situation you went through

In answer to your question, it is appropriate for you to ask questions you have doubts about or are unclear about

In summary, if you don't or never had Uveitis, I doubt you had Haradas. The skin changes and the time they appear and how they appear cannot change if you have Haradas, you may continue to ask about them and I will continue to answer, but the answers will not lead to a diagnosis of Haradas, nor will they rule out the diagnosis of Haradas either.

Thanks for your patience, and I hope I can continue to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

"The skin changes and the time they appear"...can you clarify that paragraph/statement? Sorry, I couldn't understand what you were trying to get across.

I do have anxiety about this - so it is coming across in my communication with you. I do tend to worry about my health more-so than others...thank you for your advice I will speak w/my doctor about it.

So if My eye issue began early January, and IF this is haradas, do I still have a possibility, 5 months later, that skin/hair changes can occur?

Sorry - If you could please clarify -

Thank you for your patience as well - regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do not believe I had 'uveitis' - although I do not know exactly what 'uveitis' is! I was told I did not have 'uveitis' - but can't the inflammation of the choroid be a form of 'uveitis'? This is all very confusing to me!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more thing - I have gotten alopecia areata twice - once 8 years ago (TREMENDOUS stressful situation) and again, right around the time I had the eye issue (another stressful situation) - hair grew back each time.

First time was worse than this last time.

Not sure if that indicates anything one way or the other. I did tell the opthomologists but they didn't comment on whether it was related or not. 8 years ago the eye issue did not happen - happened for the 1st time this year.

I know with VKH one can have hair loss, although I have friends and acquaintences who have had alopecia areata due to stress and no eye issues - Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I meant that whether you have skin changes or not will not diagnose nor rule out the diagnosis of haradas

If you had eye symptoms 5 months ago skin changes can still appear now or later

If you were told you do not have uveitis then you likely did not have uveitis

The alopecia is not likely related to the eye symptoms
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Brims,

I have a heartbeat sensation in both eyes...meaning a pulsation which goes along with the heartbeat.
Started the day the eye leakage/fluid happened.

It's no worse or better than when it first began.

Any idea about this?

I also have greyish floaters now... Will they go away in time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
I'm not sure if Dr Brims is/isn't interested in helping me w/this and since mine is a unique issue, perhaps opening to others will help?
Nothing against Dr Brims...
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
How long have you had these symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since January which was when my eye issue began. Doesn't hinder me from any activities.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Have the grey eye floaters been present since then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Have they ruled out macular degeneration or retinal problems?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes they have. Gone through Extensive testing- I think my situation is too unique...tough to answer I guess.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
If they have ruled out those causes then I suspect they should resolve within 8 months of the symptoms starting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even the floaters?

why would the pulsation be there? Inflammed choroid? although the choroid in left eye is ok only the right eye is still a bit inflamed - but better.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Yes, even the floaters, The pulsation may be due to stress or caffeine intake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see, thank you for your feedback!
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Doctor Brims,

Hope you are well.

The heartbeat sensation is still present in both eyes - as we had previously discussed. It does not really prevent me from doing anything, just seems a bit annoying at times and worrisome because I am concerned that the eye is somehow being damaged with the heartbeat - as if it may be putting too much pressure on the eye causing vision damage. I do get my pressure checked and it remains between 16-19.

I mainly drink decaf coffee and a little tea so I don't think caffeine would be causing this.

What else do you think could be the cause? The choroid remains a BIT inflamed in the left eye but the heartbeat sensation is in both eyes ever since I had the fluid, six months ago today.

What are your thoughts around this? Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
It may just be that your senses are heightened to the pulsations , these occur in all arteries, most people don't feel them, but you may feel them in because you are extra sensitive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Could it be due to the fact that the choroid was inflammed/thickened at one point and it is taking its time to heal?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Yes, if the choroid is still inflamed this may be the cause
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does the choroid ever stop being inflamed (silly question perhaps)?

The thing is that the choroid in my left eye is not inflamed, but it is in the right a little bit but the heartbeat sensation is in BOTH eyes.

I hope it resolves - any idea as to the probability of this resolving? Eight months or so as you had indicated prior?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it stops being inflamed, if the choroid on the left is not inflamed and the heartbeat sensation is present in both eyes the sensation is not from choroid inflammation.

It should resolve within 8 months
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.