Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have a painless muscle bulge on my right side. It happened

I have a painless muscle bulge on my right side. It happened overnight. Very obvious when I stand, noticeable when I sit and can't see when I lie down. It runs horizontally from where my ribs curve towards my back towards my front 7 inches just below my bottom rib. Ends about where my ribs end. At the largest it is 4.5 inches vertical and sticks out 1/2 inch. Ultrasound and surgeon said it is not a hernia/liver. The surgeon said it is a diastasis muscle and no surgery except cosmetic which he does not suggest to do. I think it was caused by getting hit too many times in the side with a rapier fencing sword and starting a crunch exercise routine. I'm a 47 yr man, 5'10 167 lbs. It's been 3 weeks and the bulge is the same size. I can't do much with my right like even lifting a gallon milk or it hurts. My doctor seems to be content with bloodwork which is perfect. But I'm not sure how to treat this. I was thinking of doing the tupler thing but that seems to be diastasis recti not whatever diastasis muscle this is so not sure if that will help anyway or make it worse.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Have you seen a surgeon?

Customer:

Yes

Dr Brims :

And did he examine you?

Customer:

yes. he said it is a diastasis muscle

Customer:

and did not recommend surgery

Dr Brims :

Is it painful?

Customer:

no. unless i lift something with my right side like a gallon of milk

Dr Brims :

I see, have you had a CT scan?

Customer:

no just ultrasound

Customer:

and bloodwork

Dr Brims :

does it bother you?

Customer:

not a lot except i should be able to lift things with my right side

Dr Brims :

Okay, then I think you should get a second opinion from another surgeon, to make sure you don't need surgery

Customer:

ok. based on my description of the location do you know what muscle it is?

Dr Brims :

No, there is no way to know without examining you

Customer:

ok

Dr Brims :

Is there anything else you would like to ask on this topic or anything I can help clarify?

Customer:

would the tupler technique work or make worse this type of muscle area?

Dr Brims :

It would likely help this area

Customer:

ok. thanks

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Customer:

bye