Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Have a fractured fibula, ankle is in a boot, but orthopedic

Have a fractured fibula, ankle is in a boot, but orthopedic surgeion said I could walk on it. Also at time suffer from gout. Last night I suffered short sudden stabbing pains that lasted a few seconds then subsided in my leg, not right at the fracture point. The pain would come on instantly, last for a few seconds then subside, only to return a few minutes later again for seconds. This kept me up all night, till about 4am. Now starting again at 10pm after having been in bed for about an hour.

Greetings Scott.

I am Dr. Phophalia and would assist you today.

Are you concerned that present pain may be due to fracture and caused by walking?
Is it possible for you to attach the x-ray here? You can do that by clicking the paper clip icon.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried uploading picture, the site wouldn't let me. The pain is very localized a few inches away from where I believe the fracture to be. After the pain subsides, I can put pressure on the site without causing pain, they a few minutes later the pain comes back... like an icepick being stuck in my Tibia. The bone that is fractured is the fibula right over the ankle

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here is a link to the fracture image

Hello Scott,

The fibula is non weight bearing bone (nature has provided it for the muscle attachment) so walking with a boot does not cause stress on the fractured site (saw the x-ray link). The pain you are experiencing can be due to following reasons;

1) Slight improperly fitting boot. This may transmit the weight abnormally and thus the pain.
2) Soft tissue injury which is accompanied with the fractured bone.
3) Both the above concomitantly.

If the pain is moderate to severe, you may need to talk to your doctor or at ER. The other concerning symptoms and signs would be swelling, redness and tenderness, all of which warrant an attention of the doctor. Otherwise you may take an analgesic which has been prescribed (or Advil / Motrin).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No real swelling, last night took aleve and ibuprofen. Both my wife and stepdaughter mentioned circulation. I've loosened up the boot quite a bit. How tight does the boot need to be when I'm sleeping? I see the orthopedic surgeon Wednesday when I will ask a lot of the same questions.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am I okay loosening the boot?

Hello Scott,

I am sorry for the delay in answering the question. I was on another question. I apologize for your wait.

While sleeping you can loosen the boot. While walking, it should be tight enough to brace the leg. So no problem when you loosen the boot during lying down and sleeping.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. I appreciate your efforts. I can't imagine diagnosing long distance via type is easy.

You are very welcome, Scott.

Thanks for kind words and positive rating.