Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My husband burned both of his feet on a hot parking lot today

My husband burned both of his feet on a hot parking lot today - visible blisters, about quarter-sized on and just below his toes. What can we do so our vacation isn't destroyed and he isn't in utter pain on walking for the rest of the week?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Customer:

Of course it happens right as we are headed on a busy (and walking-heavy) vacation tomorrow!

Dr Brims :

What has he tried for it so far?

Customer:

We were headed into a water park when it happened, so he floated in cool water for about an hour, but they still hurt badly on the way back to the car (wearing my flip-flops this time) - and he had to head back to a work dinner so he just sucked it up and put his business socks and shoes back on, and drove off. He's probably been in pain for three hours now - though I told him to try taking some ibuprofen.

Dr Brims :

Okay, he should hold the area under cool (not cold) water for w few minutes to help swelling, and then wrap it in sterile gauze

Dr Brims :

Ibuprofen will also help

Customer:

If it continues to hurt to walk, is there a best way to deal with the pain?

Dr Brims :

Ibuprofen is the best way to deal with the pain, tylenol will also help but ibuprofen is better

Customer:

Should we treat with any kind of cream or salve tonight while he sleeps to improve healing, or band-aids? or just open air?

Dr Brims :

Just gauze, and he can keep it open to air at night, no creams

Customer:

Any idea how long they will take to heal? The blisters are under his callouses on the pads of his feet.

Dr Brims :

They may take more than a week

Dr Brims :

to heal

Dr Brims :

It may take a little longer, but not likely less than that

Customer:

do you think walking will be difficult or risky to the blisters for the whole week?

Dr Brims :

it is not risky, but it will likely hurt

Customer:

Thanks.

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any other questions on this topic, please feel free to ask