Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

Dear Doctor, I have a very thin, maybe two (hard to tell) grey

Customer Question

Dear Doctor, I have a very thin, maybe two (hard to tell) grey line on my middle finger - if I post a photo will you be able to tell what it is? Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I am happy to help, please post the photo

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- : How do I post the photo? Sorry...can't figure it out!
Dr Brims :

You can cut and paste it

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- : Ok trying now...not allowing to paste, I did copy it...
Dr Brims :

Let me see if I can find out more information

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- : Ok.
JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- : D'you have an email to where I may be able to send the photo?
Dr Brims :

We are not able to exchange personal emails

Dr Brims :

I am talking to customer service now

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- : Ok thanks.
Dr Brims :

Do you see a paper clip around the reply box?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- : No there isn't one.
Dr Brims :

At the top of the reply box, do you see anything at all?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- : Only the box in which I'm typing.
Dr Brims :

Nothing in the bar above or below the box?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- : No just save and exit and the chat box...and the smiley faces which ask us to rate our experience.
Dr Brims :

So no options that allow you to write in bold or italics?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- : No, none...I'm on my iPhone perhaps from a computer those options are avail.? How do I access this chat on my computer? Let me try a couple of things .
Dr Brims :

You may still access the chat from your computer

Dr Brims :

Or you can email the picture toXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Ok i am on my computer now so I shld be able to post the photo - one minute.

Dr Brims :

ok

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

One more minute or so, thanks.

Dr Brims :

ok

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

SEnt

Dr Brims :

Is it painful?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

No

Dr Brims :

What line are you referring to? I'm not sure what you are seeing

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

hmm sorry -

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

they go from top to bottom of nail - are you able to see?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Very faint

Dr Brims :

I see those, but they don't strike me as abnormal at all

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Oh

Dr Brims :

They seem like normal variations, and we all get them every so often

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Perhaps I did not notice them as I had nailpolish on for a while - although when I looked them up on line I read they could possibly be racial Melanonychia?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Full Size Image

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

I took another phot - perhaps clearer?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Do we get lines on our nails every so often and they come and go away?

Dr Brims :

They do not look like melanonychia, they are not dark enough, but even if they are, it would be very mild , possible due to trauma

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

You mean the lines could be there due to trauma, not melanoychia?

Dr Brims :

Yes, they come and go as the nails grow

Dr Brims :

Trauma is a common cause of melanonychia

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Ok - so this would not be racial melanoychia, if at all, it would be trauma - ok, or it is just a normal variation of the nail. If it was racial, the lines would be much darker? and on more nails?

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

I appreciate the quick answer and your assistance - this seems to be a great tool for certain questions and answers -

Dr Brims :

No, this is not racial melanonychia, it is not dark enough, it would be darker

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Ok, understood - I am of Indian descent. I was recently diagnosed with haradas (eye disease) but docs are a bit torn on that one - because i did not have any of the other symptoms of it - except for the fluid in my eye. Not sure if you are familiar with this or not - but it is similar to CSR (Central Serous Retinopothy).

Dr Brims :

ok

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

and I felt that I should see if this could be racial - that perhaps the melanocytes were affected but this does not seem to be the case.

Dr Brims :

No, it is not likely melanonychia

Dr Brims :

I don't think it related

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Okay - I see.

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

are u familiar with the eye issue I speak of?

Dr Brims :

Yes, I am familiar with it

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

I'll be logging off in a few minutes - so I won't keep you long!

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Ok - then I shouldn't worry about this in your opinion?

Dr Brims :

No, you should not worry about it

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Thanks. Appreciate your time -

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

I'm happy I could help

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

1 more thing - do the lines in melanchoyia always start out dark or light and then become dark? sorry to be a pain

Dr Brims :

They usually start out dark and become lighter over time

JACUSTOMER-b4z1wayc- :

Ok - Thanks again-

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr., I do not recall any trauma to this nail, though...and doesn't trauma just cause white spots/lines?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
It would have been mild trauma, you would barely notice it, and trauma does not cause white spots or lines
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What causes the white spots on nails? I thought if you hurt your nail or something...not vitamin deficiencies as rumored?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Damage to the nail may cause the white spots if the tissue under the nail is not damaged or bleeding, but that is rare, usually the tissue is damaged and the dark color is a result
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appears lots of folks have white spots...so doesn't appear to be that rare?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In addition, if one has haradas (VKH) can it cause nail discoloration?

My only symptom thus far was inflammation of the choroid and fluid in the eyes, more so in the right eye.

The eye issue hpnd. Jan 10th of this year and all the fluid has since been resolved.

Although some docs feel it was CSR, not haradas...who knows?!
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Maybe it is not that rare, I'm not sure if that is helpful for you, but maybe you are right, VKH rarely causes nail discoloration
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And if it did cause nail discoloration would it appear different from what I showed you, a couple of greyish lines?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
It would appear darker with VKH
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So nail discoloration from VKH would be rare...and what I showed you looks like it isn't that? Just 'normal' change...

Also, wouldn't the discoloration have happened already since the onset of the eye issue was 5 months ago?

BTW, I was negative for the gene which causes haradas-VKH..or any autoimmune diseases. What do you think of that? At all indicative?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
The issue of VKH is a separate issue from the nail problem, this doesn't look like VKH. If you want to discuss VKH in depth, you need to open a new question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Understood and will do.
The reason I asked about VKH in connection to this is because of the discoloration.

I'll open account as I'm able to discuss VKH or Haradas in further detail.

You *are* familiar with it? realize it's rare in The States.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am familiar with it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will the $18 I used to be able to get used to do the unlimited question sign-up? Or was that a one-time/question fee?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure, customer service will be able to address that question, I only answer medical questions and I unfortunately don't have information on this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha' - ill check w/Cust svc., thanks.
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just subscribed- are you able to see my subscription?
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
No, but that is not required, to ask a new question you just need to open a new post
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dear Doctor Brims, I sent a picture of my nail to XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX (email you had given me previously to use) as I was unable to upload it on here for some reason - the nail in question is on the other hand - can you tell me why a part of my tip is clear and a part is white? All my other nail tips are white - I noticed this nail in the morning that it had changed as such. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I will reply in the other post you opened