Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

I take Crestor for control of cholesterol, which is presently

I take Crestor for control of cholesterol, which is presently 141 and LDL is down also. However, I hear there are side effects to statins and I know that my muscles ache, mainly my shoulders, more when I am on the statins. Would I be better off to stop the statins and try to control with diet and exercise?
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you have total cholesterol level as 141 ?
What is your value for LDL and HDL?
Any other health or medical problems?
For how long are you taking statins?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My cholesterol is 151 (S/B less than 200), my HDL is 38 (S/B greater than 40), my LDL is 89 (S/B less than 130).

My glucose levels are near highs. And I suffer from peripheral neuropathy.

I have taken statins for about 10 years.

Advise if you need further data.

TGhank you.

Robert, Thanks for all these additional details.
I can understand your concern.

LDL refers to Low-density lipoprotein. It is the main source of cholesterol buildup and blockage in arteries. The lower the value, the lower the risk for heart attack and stroke.

HDL is High-density lipoprotein, it helps in preventing cholesterol from building up in the artery walls. With HDL, the higher the number, the better is health.

The normal range for Total cholesterol should be below 200 mg/dL.

I understand that you have been taking statins for last 10 years, and now experiencing muscle ache through out body.
The most common statin side effect is muscle pain.
The pain can be a mild discomfort, or it can be severe enough to make daily activities difficult.

Lowering your dose may reduce some of your side effects.
It's also possible your doctor will suggest switching your medication to another statin that's equally effective but can be taken in a lower dose

Your doctor may suggest, coenzyme Q10 supplements. Coenzyme Q10 supplements may help to prevent statin side effects.
Your doctor may suggest, other cholesterol-lowering medications like ezetimibe (Zetia), it is a cholesterol absorption inhibitor and this may help you avoid taking higher doses of statins.

As such at your age, such medications should not be stopped all of a sudden. You may be advised dietary changes, along with exercise, this would also be helpful.

I would suggest that you can discuss above options with your doctor.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business