jbmd
jbmd, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience. Extensive medical and traumatic neurology experience.
69164063

I have a numb spot on my right Abdomen around the heart area

I have a numb spot on my right Abdomen around the heart area i also found a small lump aprox. the size of a mosquito bite that is not visible

jbmd :

I'll be glad to give you some advice, unfortunately I can't examine or treat you. First: the heart is up in the chest, above the waist and not in the belly. To help you I need the location of the lump. Is this lump near the heart/nipple area or down closer to the belly button in the abdomen?

Customer:

near the heart area. its high Abdomen low chest area

jbmd :

Can you see anything on the outside, like a black dot in the middle? Is it soft and squishy and can you push it back in?

jbmd :

Is the area between two ribs? What I wonder if you have is a small hernia of the abdominal wall (not rare) or a lipoma (benign, means nothing fatty tumor--only problem is if it grows or it loses its blood supply, i.e strangulates) or a benign cyst of the abdomen wall.

Customer:

its just outside the rib cage and it is not visible but it feels like a mosquito bite when you push in on it.

jbmd :

It may be a little cyst underneath the skin or a small hernia or a lipoma. A lipoma feels characteristically like a little firm piece of fish flesh or scallop. Kind of rubbery but not hard. Lipomas are benign. This sounds unlikely to be something worrisome and can be watched over time to see if getting bigger (which lipomas can) or have your doctor check the next time you see him/her. An ultrasound (gives no radiation) could also say what this is as fat has different density than muscle or bone.

jbmd :

The majority of people have lipomas somewhere on their body. Some get quite big but it's rare to have to remove them.

jbmd :

By "feels like a mosquito bite" do you mean painful/itchy or just to your finger the way mosquito bites feel?

Customer:

the characteristics of a mosquito bite under the skin. not itchy a little bit of pain from time to time but not always. occasional numb feeling

jbmd :

This is almost undoubtedly a lipoma. Nothing needs to be done unless it hurts or gets cosmetically unacceptable to you by growing larger. Next time you go to the doctor, have him/her examine it.

Customer:

thank you

Customer:

does lipoma cause the numbness

jbmd :

near the ribs and under the skin are nerves and if you press on something under the skin it can feel numb if it presses against a nerve or it can hurt a bit.

jbmd :

Glad to take the time to answer this specifically for you, rather than just a quick list of what it could be. I enjoy giving excellent advice.

jbmd :

Please rate the answer so it closes!

jbmd :

Return to ask questions when you need to (hopefully years as you're so young!)