Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have been to numerous doctors becaue I constantly feel like

Customer Question

I have been to numerous doctors becaue I constantly feel like I can't breathe well. I feel as if I have to yawn to get a good breath of air. I also notice it while talking and over exertion. I notice it at rest too. However, I walked in a 2 mile parade the other day and symptoms didn't get worse. I am so puzzled by this and am afraid that I am dying from some horrible disease. I have been to 2 pulmonologists who have done chest xrays, PFT tests, etc. FEV1 was 83% which I am told is good. Report says PFT tests showed a mild obstructive defect with a slight bronchodilater response. Lung capacity is normal, airway resistance elevated, lung volumes show hyperinflation and air trapping. Not sure what that all means but the docs tell me that I'm fine. However, I don't feel fine. It's really affecting my everyday life, I have no energy and just cleaning my house is hard for me. I am only 41 years old and have 3 young children. I am scared to death of this. Also, I smoked a pack a day for about 18 years, I quit in 2006. Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer.

Were your blood tests and high resolution CT scan of the lungs normal?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My blood tests were perfect but I never had a CT of the lungs.

Greetings.

Since you have consulted two pulmonologist, with blood work and PFTs being normal, chance of lung disease or anything abnormal is quite rare (especially with 2 miles parade not aggravating the symptoms). But since your symptoms are persisting; your doctors may consider high resolution CT scan, just for the cautionary reason and investigations to be complete and thorough. If this comes out to be normal; an anxiety issue may be considered for these persisting symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I go about getting a high resolution CT scan?

I am sorry for delay in answering your question. I was on another question. I apologize for your wait.

Your primary care physician or the pulmonologist can get the CT scan. You can discuss with them and I am sure, with your persisting symptoms, they would recommend it. Also I would advice to look for the gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and Hiatal hernia, which occasionally may cause this kind of symptom. An upper gastrointestinal endoscopy would be able to diagnose it.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I actually just had that upper gastrointestinal endoscopy which showed mild GERD but the doc said that my symptoms shouldn't be this bad from that. They keep telling me that it's anxiety which, I admit, I have anxiety but it's only because of the fact that I do not feel well. I am definately going to get that CT scan. I will let you know what the results are when I get them.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX very helpful!!

You are very welcome.

This is likely to be anxiety as we discussed. Your history of smoking is perhaps playing in back of your mind. Please do not worry; there is unlikely to be anything significant.

Please rate the answer as excellent / Good as only positive rating would compensate us for the time and expertize.

Best wishes and kindest regards

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am going today for a chest CT. The doctor is ordering it without contrast. Do you agree with that? Not sure what the difference is.

Thanks

Most welcome.

A Chest CT is done without contrast initially. It tells about the heart, lung, food pipe and other structures too. High resolution CT (HRCT) is done for lung only. Go ahead.

Good luck.