911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Hello. I was put on 25 mg Librium 4 x/d about 30 days ago.

Hello. I was put on 25 mg Librium 4 x/d about 30 days ago. It was great and I stopped drinking for 2 weeks. I was drinking 2 bottles wine per night (aprox 1400 calories), but I put on 7lbs when I stopped!

So I started again. I dropped the Librium down to 10 mg 4x/d, can I just stop altogether now please. I am desperate to lose weight.

Thankyou

911Doctor :

Welcome, My answers are for educational purposes only. Remember please, that we do not get paid if you do not click 'accept' / give positive ratings!

911Doctor :

You should not simply stop the Librium. You need to taper it slowly and this is best done with the advice of your doctor.

911Doctor :

the Danger in stopping abruptly is withdrawal syndrome.... but with librium withdrawal seizures are possible. \

911Doctor :

I'm sorry about the weight issue but it is really secondary here.

911Doctor :

Stopping a benzodiazepine like librium abruptly can be very dangerous.

911Doctor :

The next issue is to figure out what you are going to to about the alcohol... it is not clear from your post but it seems like you may be considering starting to drink again.

911Doctor :

It sounds like this might be a very bad thing indeed as you were drinking to the point of requiring librium to get you through the alcohol withdrawal.

911Doctor :

Please discuss these issues with your doctor who is taking good care of you, and do not simply stop the lithium.

911Doctor :

I do not see you in the chat. I am going to switch to the Q and A format to facilitate this discussion. If your question has been adequately answered I do so appreciate positive feedback. If you have further questions or desire clarification simply type your response in the box below and click ‘reply’ and I will be back with you as soon as I can.

Should you need my assistance in the future simply start your question with ‘for 911doc only’.

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about serotonin?