Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Im very concerced with my father as the last 3 months he been

Im very concerced with my father as the last 3 months he been in and out of hospital but dr's struggle to diagnose. First dr said 'shingels, then heart failure (hartversaking), low potassium levels, and the following medication was issued:
1 x Nuzak 10mg
1 x tenbloka 50mg
1 x Plenish K
1 x Puresis 40mg
1 x Tenston SA
1/2 disprin
1 x Trepiline 10mg
1 x Tenston SA
1 x Puresis 40mg

He is 79yrs old with history of high bloodpressure, 2 x heart bypass operations.
Currently he seems to sleep the whole day and don't want to eat? What can I do as he lost his believe in dr's as the last 3 months nobody could pin point what is wrong with him?

I am Dr. Phophalia and would assist you today

Apart from sleeping whole day and loss of appetite, what are his other symptoms?
What the investigations done?

Thanks for using JustAnswer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He complains about severe back pain and has lost approx 20kg in less than 2 months.

As said previously, he was hospitalized but was finally discharged with potassium supplement as the dr said his potassium levels were low.

This was almost a month ago but his condition just deteoritaes and I'm most concern that the medication (as list above)might have an influence on this health?

Hello Lyn,

Could you please list his investigations done?
Did he consult any specialist?
What did the MRI of his back show?
Has he any urinary symptoms, history of prostate enlargement?
Any significant past medical history or surgery?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dr Arun

The investigations done were as follows:

He was submitted to hospital due to heart failure (the dr first diagnose shingles?) but this hospital (goverment) could not found the problem and was then submitted to another private hospital and the dr there diagnosed low potassium as the cause for the severe pain in his back and abdominal. He was then discharge from hospital. However, with no improvement as he is deterioating day by day.

He had a heart bypass in 1991 and then again in 2003.

Hello Lyn,

I agree with your concerns and he need further investigative work up to correctly diagnose the original issue. His present symptoms may be contributed by the medications adverse effects. He should get the following blood work and medical imaging (if not yet done);

1) MRI of the back
2) Thyroid function tests
3) Adrenal function tests
4) Tumor markers
5) Bone scan
6) PSA (prostate specific antigen)
7) CT scan of the abdomen
8) Colored doppler study of the chest and abdominal aorta
9) Echocardiography
10) Complete blood counts
11) Sedimentation rate
12) Complete metabolic panel.

These should be able to pin point the diagnosis. Consulting a tertiary level hospital or a hospital attached to a medical college would be recommended. An internal medicine specialist would be best to help.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.