Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

I sometimes get a sharp pain in my anus. What does it mean

I sometimes get a sharp pain in my anus. What does it mean?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

When the pain start?

How frequently do you feel it?

How is stool?

Is there any blood in it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've had it seen I was a teen. It happens randomly only for a short period of time, & not very often. I go regularly & there isn't any blood.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Did you consult doctor for this pain?

Did you have any test?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I was just curious why it might be happening.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Lauren, for the information,

This can be spasm of anal sphincter or levator ani muscles around rectum.

Often the cause is not clear.

This can be related to stress.

Irritable bowel syndrome can be associated with it.

Excessive intake of caffeine can be a factor.

Low fiber intake can be a factor too.

You can avoid caffeine if you take any.

Stress should be avoided too.

Please try to take large amount of fibers or vegetable & fresh fruits

Sometimes it can arise from other conditions like an inflammation or a fissure,

I would advise to discuss it with your doctor.

He can take a rectal examination to rule out any other condition there.

During an episode you can apply ice around the anal area or sit in a tub of warm water.

Those often helps to relieve the pain.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience