Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

I am graduating this month with my Bachelors degree in nursing.

I am graduating this month with my Bachelor's degree in nursing. I have worked as a mental health and addictions nurse for most of my 15 years as an RN. I am interested in continuing in school to become a Nurse Practitioner. I am torn about which track to choose. There are no Psychiatric Mental Health NP programs locally. There are Family NP programs locally. The idea of Primary Care interests me. I could go to University of South Alabama, which has an online Psych NP program that requires a 1 week on campus symposium. All practicums are arranged locally. Or do I attend a local Family NP program and add on a post master's certificate in Psych later. To be marketable as a Psych NP, I would have to be eligible to initiate involuntary psych evaluations. I live in Florida. Only Psych NPs can initiate involuntary exams. What do you think?

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Honestly, to keep yourself from being locked in to one arena, I would go through a general NP program and then concentrate on Psych when you graduate. This way you will be much more rounded in different areas of NP and you can build upon your knowledge and skills. While the online Psych NP sounds interesting, I still think a general NP would be a good foundation. However (there's always another side of the coin), if time is a factor and you are 110% sure you want to be stay with Psych, then sure - you could always do the program offered at the University of South Alabama.