Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Dr Brims I have been having very bad anxiety last few days.

Customer Question

Dr Brims I have been having very bad anxiety last few days. Is the heart safe if you walk out of a room after looking at either a clock or the brand name on the tv by hyperfocusing on them? My heart feels like it races when that happens that does not mean I am having heart trouble and is vision still separate from heart functions in these cases as well? Also if you are feeling your heart beating and you get nervous you cannot interfere with it beating?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

It is safe to walk out of a room after focusing on the objects in the room

Dr Brims :

It does not mean you have heart trouble when you feel your heart racing

Dr Brims :

You cannot interfere with your heart beating

Customer:

You cannot stop the beating even if you feel like its racing or beating faster than normal like if you take in a deep breath during the beating?

Dr Brims :

No, you can never stop it from beating

Customer:

So the heart works separate from any nervous thoughts or deep breathing or body jerking movement from fear of it beating fast?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it works separately from all of those actions

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes just nervous

Customer:

I thought about going to the ER earlier because my heart was beating so fast

Dr Brims :

There is no need to go to an ER unless you feel weak or like you are going to pass out or have chest pain

Customer:

even the repeating touching objects cannot interfere with the heart from my OCD?

Dr Brims :

No, it cannot interfere with your heart

Customer:

I felt tired but not weak and no chest pain

Customer:

can the anxiety make you feel tired?

Dr Brims :

ok

Dr Brims :

Then there is no need to go to an ER

Customer:

should I just try to calm down and relax?

Dr Brims :

Yes, you should try to calm down and relax

Customer:

any other advice you may have for me?

Dr Brims :

I think you should ask your doctor to refer you to a psychologist for counseling, I think it would help

Customer:

I am seeing one now but it does not seem to be helping lately

Dr Brims :

Then you may need to try another one, ie. switch

Customer:

okay thank you Dr Brims

Customer:

so no need for ER now?

Dr Brims :

No need for an ER now

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Customer:

Thank you Dr Brims

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In follow up to my fast heart pulse of 112 the clinic doctor today asked if I should have a CT scan of the lung with contrast to rule out a pulmonary embolism but found it highly unlikely. Do you think I should still get one? Also when I walked out of the exam room I looked back in to look at the wire wall hanging was that safe to do?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I think you should have it done if it has been ordered, but I don't think you have an embolism.It was safe to look at the wire
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well my my primary doctor has to approve it for insurance approval but do you think he will be mad that I got another opinion even the clinic doctor said it was highly unlikely I have an embolism

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Whether he is mad or not does not matter,but I don't think e will be mad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr my primary doctor decided I do not need the chest CT scan and thinks this may be heart burn or gerd associated with the cough. He does not seem too concerned with the elevated pulse rate nor does my psychiatrist who thinks I should keep taking the Abilify with the Remeron. I asked my doctor about the beta blocker but he decided not to and I am currently just taking Benicar HTC 20 mg. I am still puzzled on what to do? Does it seem like my Doctor is avoiding me regarding the high pulse situation?

I also am having a problem standing in kitchen work staring at sink window then when I move away I think it is going to affect something badly is this is harmless anxiety again and no connection to heart?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you need a beta blocker

Th feeling you have about your heart is anxiety, there is no connection to the heart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My psychiatrist has taken me off Paxil and I only am taking 10mg of Abilify my OCD makes me touch things repeatedly and I am using will power to try and stop. Is it safe not to keep touching something like the bar under the seat of the car to adjust the seat? There is no connection to heart and touching or gripping any of these objects?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Can you please open a new post for this question?