Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have a sore throat which is sore on the outside to touch

I have a sore throat which is sore on the outside to touch right below my adams apple. Inside it feels like something is stuck. I can still swallow good

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details. I am an ear, nose and throat specialist. Do you have any change in voice, acid taste in mouth, fluid trickling in throat, desire to clear the throat again and again? Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have any change in my voice or acid taste. I have swelling now on my thyroid and it is getting worse. I can breath and swallow ok. I do feel like there is something in my throat. I still have drainage from my sinuses.

Beverly thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. As per description it is obvious that you have developed inflammation of your larynx (voice box). The likely cause of this inflammation is spread of infection from sinuses through drainage. However you are going to be ok. I will address your question in two aspects; what you can do yourself and what your doctor can do for you. As far as what you can do yourself is concerned in such situations OTC tab claritin once daily, OTC tab ibuprofen thrice daily and steam inhalation with menthol drops twice daily will help you. If symptoms progress in next twenty four hour or you develop fever more than 101 or you develop hoarse voice or difficulty breathing, only in that case you should see your doctor as you may need further treatment but hopefully you will feel better soon. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did end up going to the doctor. He said it was viral and I have numerous enlarged glands. He doesn't think I have any problems with my thyroid. You were right I only need a decongestant and antihistamine. Thanks

I am glad that you got help. Yes you only need supportive treatment and make sure that you drink enough water. It will take five to seven days to settle completely. My best wishes will be with you always. please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.