Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

My husband came down with a sudden fever about 36 hours ago

My husband came down with a sudden fever about 36 hours ago (constant and ranging from 100-102.4 degrees F). He has no other real symptoms other than a very slight head ache, loss of appetite and exhaustion which I assume are associated with the fever. He has spent considerable time outside (camping trip with biology class etc to Appalachians) and I looked him over for obvious tick bites. I see no bulls eye rashes etc. Could he have West Nile with no obvious rash? He does have a couple of mosquito bites but they do not look abnormal. The only other hing is that he spent several days splitting fire wood at our cabin and has been complaining of elbow pain that he thinks is associated with that. Could that cause a fever?

Anyway, should we ride it out (it is Sunday) or should we get him to a doctor now?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

This is likely a viral infection

Dr Brims :

If he has no diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and can eat, you should consider waiting2-3 days to see if it subsides

Dr Brims :

Viral infections rarely last longer than a few days