Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Hi, My ring fingers nail turned red. I thought maybe it

My ring finger's nail turned red. I thought maybe it was because I banged it against something at work or because, on that nail, I cut it a little short. But then my pinky and middle fingernails started turning red also. This started a few days ago. Aside from being red, my ring and pinky fingernails hurt when I apply pressure.

Now I'm getting splinter hemorrhages on 8 of my fingers, including the ones that are red. I've been doing research online, and a lot of websites are saying it's possibly heart disease. Should I go to the doctor asap? I've been trying to wait and see if it'll get better, but it's definitely not. Please help.

Greetings Leah.

I am Dr. Phophalia and will assist you today.

Are you on any medications / herbs / supplements?
Any significant past medical illness?

Do you have chest pain, palpitations, breathless on exertion, tiredness?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I was taking vitamin c and a multivitamin daily, but I stopped taking them a few weeks ago. I recently took Aleve for a couple headaches. I don't have any breathing issues or chest pain. I have been feeling a little light headed/weak and losing my balance when I'm standing up.

Thanks Leah for the further information.

Loosing balance on standing up can be due to orthostatic hypotension. This is also called as postural hypotension. It is a condition in which one experiences a upper (systolic) blood pressure drop of 20 mm Hg or more, or a lower (diastolic) blood pressure drop of 10 mm Hg or more, with or without an increase in heart or pulse rate, with or without symptoms, and within 3 minutes after standing.

In normal people the upper blood pressure falls by less than 10 and the lower one rises as a matter of fact by 2-3 reading. Following would be advised;

1) Lifestyle modifications, such as avoiding sudden postural changes

2) Sitting on the edge of the bed for 5 minutes before standing,

3) Calf muscle exercises,

4) Drinking 2 liters of fluids per day,

5) Avoiding hot environments,

6) Raising the head of the bed to 15-20 degrees,

7) Elastic compression stockings

8) Medical treatment; fludrocortisone, midodrine, erythropoietin, and pyridostigmine.

You would also be advised following investigations;

a) blood urea

b) serum creatinine

c) glucose tolerance test

d) HbA1c,

e) complete blood count (CBC),

f) electrocardiography,

g) echocardiography,

A collective symptoms of loosing balance on standing up, color changes in nails and splinter hemorrhages in fingers warrant an evaluation by a doctor as soon as possible. While your symptoms and signs are not confirmatory of heart disease but a possibility of heart disease like valve defect may be responsible occasionally for these symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.