Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

I have peripheral neuropathy in both of my feet. I have had

I have peripheral neuropathy in both of my feet. I have had it for about 4-5 years and discomfort and loss of balance are my main complaints. I realize that there is no cure and no medications available to alleviate the malady. Do you have any suggestions re dealing with this ailment? I am a 76 year old male, otherwise in good health.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Well, the line of treatment for peripheral neuropathy is-

1. Pain relievers like gabapentin, topiramate, pregabalin, carbamazepine, and phenytoin.

2. Topical lignocaine, and capsaicin are also helpful.

3. Use of antidepressants like Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline, and a new drug Duloxetine is also beneficial.

4. TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) is another modality which helps in selected cases.

5. Acupuncture, Massage therapy, Chiropractic care, meditation, and various types of movement therapy (including yoga and tai chi) are also found to be beneficial in controlling the symptoms of neuropathy.

You should go for regular exercise, Eat healthy meals, Massage your feet, it helps to improve circulation, stimulates nerves and may temporarily relieve pain. You should avoid prolonged pressure on your feet.

You can discuss these options with your treating physician which will direct subsequent management strategy.

Kindly follow these measures, and please discuss these above options with your doctor.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business