Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

Overnight, the ball of my left foot, bottom of the foot behind

Overnight, the ball of my left foot, bottom of the foot behind the big toe, has swollen. No pain, minor redness. I noticed it upon waking when I put my foot down on the floor; a lump that made me think I was accidently stepping on something on the carpet. I looked at my foot and a lump was on the bottom of the ball of the foot, about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. It does not hurt to press on it, I am able to walk, and as I do it feels like it might be a pocket of fluid. What is happening there?
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Are you involved in continuous running or jumping activities?
Is lump painful to touch?
Did you have any insect bite?
Any other health or medical problems?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not involved in running or jumping; I regularly walk on sidewalks and up stairs, but have not been doing *serious* exercise. I wear soft shoes, crepe soles, Clarks, brand, nice insoles.

It is not painful.

It does not seem to be an insect bite. I live in the southwest and thought of that right away, too; but no serious redness, no pain, no evidence of bite or sting...

I am in general good health.

Jeff ,Thanks for all these additional details.

Possible cause can be benign soft tissue tumor like subcutaneous fibroma,lipoma or ganglion cyst.

Other possibility is Callus.It is a toughened area of skin which has become relatively thick and hard in response to repeated friction, pressure, or other irritation.
Ganglion cysts are fluid-filled lumps. These cysts are usually round, firm and smooth. They can be painful if attached to a nerve.

Usually such condition is harmless and painless, requiring no treatment. However, if the ganglion cyst is causing pain or it's interfering with joint movement, then surgery is sometimes necessary.

You can apply a warm compress to the cyst may, it helps to resolve faster.
Usually they may disappear without any specific treatment. If you have associated pain, then painkiller can be taken.

I would recommend that you need to consult Orthopedician for clinical evaluation.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not a callous.

Ganglion cyst sounds likely.

What causes such a cyst? Is it fluid leaking from the joint? And what causes that?

.

Jeff, Thanks for asking follow up question.

Yes, it sounds to be Ganglion cyst, These are noncancerous and fluid-filled lumps. They appear as soft lump under the skin. They are made up of a thick, jelly-like fluid, called synovial fluid.

The exact cause is unknown. They can occur with ageing or injury. Usually they are harmless and painless, and don't require any treatment.

If ganglion cyst is painful, and or it's interfering with joint movement, then it should be treated by doctor.

The only way to treat such cyst is Aspiration or Surgical removal.
Aspiration procedure can be done in your doctor's office. Here doctor need to puncture the cyst with a needle and then removes the fluid from the base of the cyst with a syringe.

No need to get panic, this is not a serious issue.
I would suggest that you can get clinically examined from doctor and discuss this issue.